Baby Gift for month old boy

Looking for tips on how to control the rugrats ? Want to know what the latest trend in baby strollers is ?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Baby Gift for month old boy

Post by Satellite » 12th Sep, '08, 10:24

What would you suggest?

I don't want to get something that will be useful only a few years later! Something for immediate use or very near future use and it has to be something nice as I am quite good friends with the mother.

Thanks!
Last edited by Satellite on 12th Sep, '08, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Baby Gift for month old boy

Post by baloo » 12th Sep, '08, 10:27

Clothes.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 12th Sep, '08, 10:29

ok what sort would one be happier with? Comfy t-shirts? or fancy ones? And where to get it from?

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 12th Sep, '08, 10:35

Mothercare

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 12th Sep, '08, 10:36

Depends what you want to spend.

Best place we found for baby clothes was Suntec City, 3rd floor atrium between Tower 1 & 2. Quite a few stores there. Crackers tends to favour purchasing from some french sounding place. Le petite baguette or something. But plenty of stores there selling kids clothes.

Takashimaya also good if you want to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a baby jumpsuit that will last 2 months max. But at least it's branded....
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 12th Sep, '08, 10:40

I answered a similar question on the AB. I always give books, because they turned out to be the most lasting gift I received. Wolfie's favorite books in his first year were: "Kitten's First Full Moon" with nice repetition and stimulating black and white pictures, "Happy Baby 1 2 3" which had him enthralled to the point where he'd kick his feet wildly whenever I'd whip it out, and "Goodnight Moon" a bedtime story classic. For the first year of his life we'd settle down at bedtime, lying on our backs side by side on the big bed and read these. It became part of our night night routine, and he really looked forward to it - even from very, very young.

My best friend gave me "Kitten's First Full Moon" and she inscribed it in the front to Wolfie. We will keep this book forever.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 12th Sep, '08, 10:46

I know it can't be used immediately, but I reckon every kid deserves some Wedgwood Peter Rabbit or Royal Doulton Bunnykins crockery. It's the stuff of memories.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 12th Sep, '08, 10:55

I have to say, I'm a fan of Lili's book idea, but I had a look at Bender's links & found this:

Really Cute Picture Frame

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 12th Sep, '08, 11:03

slinky wrote:I have to say, I'm a fan of Lili's book idea, but I had a look at Bender's links & found this:

Did you miss the "tongue-in-cheek" smiley?

That's hideous....
Life's too short...

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 12th Sep, '08, 11:10

Thanks! I think I might get a couple of clothes and a book. Though not sure what sort of book will appeal to babies!

Yup.. royal doulton!

Picture frames are out for singaporeans... many consider them cheap...(no matter how costly they are)

What about for the mother.. what would mothers like ?

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 12th Sep, '08, 11:12

Just what sort of memories can crockery give? I have some lovely Peter Rabbit stuff that my brother gave me when my eldest was born, um, they are still in their boxes in the cupboard. :oops: I never used it as I could always see it falling on the floor and smashing...

Love the book idea that Lili suggested, my boys loved books from very young age too. We also did the nightly ritual. Not sure who enjoyed it more. I used to make little stories up for the baby ones where there are only pictures. We still have ours too.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 12th Sep, '08, 11:23

Satellite wrote:Though not sure what sort of book will appeal to babies!
Keep it simple. Few words, lots of repetition and rhyming, sing-songy, big simple pictures without too much detail. Babies LOVE to look at pictures of other babies and other faces. Other suggestions "In the big red barn", "Happy Baby Friends", "The Goodnight Train". I'll try to think of more...
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 12th Sep, '08, 11:50

BFG wrote:
slinky wrote:I have to say, I'm a fan of Lili's book idea, but I had a look at Bender's links & found this:

Did you miss the "tongue-in-cheek" smiley?

That's hideous....
[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Much to my surprise, we are in complete agreement BFG.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 12th Sep, '08, 11:51

Or were you referring to the kid? :D
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

BFG

Post by BFG » 12th Sep, '08, 11:52

daffodil wrote:Or were you referring to the kid? :D
Yes.
Life's too short...

BFG

Post by BFG » 12th Sep, '08, 11:54

Taking my cue from the AB, a Bible is always a good gift for a child.

How about "The Bible according to Burb", or "The Burble"...?
Life's too short...

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 12th Sep, '08, 12:02

Satellite, if you go somewhere like Bookaburra (Forum I think) you will find a lovely range of books for babies, Hopefully someone there might be able to help if you are still doubtful. Babies books have very large pictures with little detail and few, if any, words.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Bender

Post by Bender » 12th Sep, '08, 12:11

Pinklepurr wrote:I have some lovely Peter Rabbit stuff that my brother gave me when my eldest was born, um, they are still in their boxes in the cupboard. :oops: I never used it as I could always see it falling on the floor and smashing...
Wow... you must be really ooolld. :shock: The crockery's been available in plastic (or melamine or whatever it is) for aaages.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 12th Sep, '08, 12:26

BFG wrote:Taking my cue from the AB, a Bible is always a good gift for a child.

How about "The Bible according to Burb", or "The Burble"...?
Or the Burgbage Dictionary

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 12th Sep, '08, 12:28

Hey, I might be old but my son is only 12 now! [smilie=tongue.gif]
So what is the point then? If it's melamine, then it's not really so memorable is it? May has well have Kung Fu Panda plates or similar. ;)

Bender

Post by Bender » 12th Sep, '08, 14:20

Pinklepurr wrote:Just what sort of memories can crockery give? I have some lovely Peter Rabbit stuff that my brother gave me when my eldest was born, um, they are still in their boxes in the cupboard....
...So what is the point then? If it's melamine, then it's not really so memorable is it? May has well have Kung Fu Panda plates or similar. ;)

Based on those responses, I'd say you could regift the unused stuff cluttering up your cupboard when the opportunity arises. Or are you keeping it for a reason? Does it remind you of something? It seems that after 12 years it's not been forgotten.

My mother was given a Bunnykins plate, bowl and cup when I was born, and I loved using them when I was a kid. I gave them to my sister when my niece was born, and my niece, who's at university now, wants to give them to her firstborn. Although they're a bit faded from use, all 3 pieces have survived. Doulton and Wedgwood make other items as well as crockery, money boxes for example, if fear of breakage through everyday use is an issue.

Nothing wrong with buying some plastic cartoony stuff either, although I doubt that it would be found in the mother's cupboard 12 years later, that she'd think it was "lovely" or remember who it was from or what the occasion was. If the gift giver wanted something useful (and crass), unlicensed copies of Disney stuff can be found at the markets. Cheap too, and can be thrown out by the receiver without causing any emotional issues.

Satellite did ask "what would you suggest"... and it was just a suggestion. The only criteria given were "Something for immediate use or very near future use and it has to be something nice". "Useful" is easy, I went with "nice", with the caveat that what I suggested can't be used immediately. It's not easy to make suggestions without a better idea of what's wanted, what sentiment the gift might be intended to express, or what the budget might be.

Here's another bad suggestion: 2008 issue commemorative coins from MAS. There's a "43 years of independence" set and a "Changi T3" set available. There are others on the Singapore Mint website (including a baby set which is sold out). Before anyone says it, I know this doesn't fit the "useful" criteria either, and will probably gather dust in a cupboard.

If you're pragmatic: a stack of disposable nappies is immediately useful and supremely practical. Some people would call it nice and thoughtful too.

edit: typo
Last edited by Bender on 12th Sep, '08, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 12th Sep, '08, 16:12

Depending on the kid.... condoms for the parents so it doesn't happen again?

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 12th Sep, '08, 21:34

Sorry Bender didn't mean to sound so upsetting. Don't get your nappies in a twist over it. ;) It's the weekend enjoy.

azzam
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 12th Sep, '08, 22:50

Why don't you give something really nice and pampering for the new Mother instead ( or as well as )?
She's done a lot of hard work lately and may need reminding that she's still human rather than bovine.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

BFG

Post by BFG » 13th Sep, '08, 16:49

I must admit that I was most gratified when Hopkins, the wine butler, turned up with a bottle of '66 Montrachet when BFG Minor was being born.

Went down a treat, and took my mind off the fact that my enjoyment of the 6 Nations match being played at the time was being disturbed by the noises Mrs BFG was making.

Some people have no consideration...
Life's too short...