Spanking Raises Chances of Risky, Deviant Sexual Behaviour

Looking for tips on how to control the rugrats ? Want to know what the latest trend in baby strollers is ?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Zephyr
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: fed up

Spanking Raises Chances of Risky, Deviant Sexual Behaviour

Post by Zephyr » 2nd Mar, '08, 00:29

Spanking Raises Chances of Risky, Deviant Sexual Behavior

Review found physical punishment of kids linked to unprotected, masochistic sex as adults
By Amanda Gardner, HealthDay Reporter

THURSDAY, Feb. 28 (HealthDay News) -- Researchers have uncovered another damaging consequence of spanking: risky sexual behaviors, or even sexual deviancy, when the child grows up.

"This adds one more harmful side effect to spanking," said Murray Straus, a spanking expert who was expected to present the findings of four studies at the American Psychological Association's Summit on Violence and Abuse in Relationships in Bethesda, Md., on Thursday.

"I think that it's pretty powerful," said Elizabeth Gershoff, an assistant professor at the University of Michigan's School of Social Work. "It's across several studies and across different forms of either risky or deviant sexual behavior."

Straus, who was the author of all four studies, hopes the findings will raise awareness among child development experts.

"My hope is to convince my colleagues that they ought to put this in their textbooks," said Straus, co-director of the Family Research Laboratory at the University of New Hampshire, in Durham. "It's amazing. Something experienced by all American kids gets an average of half a page in child development textbooks, and not a single one comes to the conclusion that parents should never spank."

Even the revered Dr. Spock, who was anti-spanking, never came right out and advised parents outright not to do it, he added. Instead, Spock advised "avoiding it if you can."

A meta-analysis of spanking studies conducted by Gershoff found 93 percent agreement among studies that spanking can lead to such problems as delinquent and anti-social behavior in childhood along with aggression, criminal and anti-social behavior and spousal or child abuse as an adult.

"There's probably nothing else in child development that has 93 percent agreement in results," Straus said.

Five percent of people who have never been spanked hit their partners, versus 25 percent of those who were spanked frequently.

However, some 90 percent of U.S. parents spank toddlers, according to Straus.

The review being presented at the meeting are the first to look at the relationship of spanking to sexual behavior.

They found that spanking and other corporal punishment is associated with an increased probability of verbally and physically coercing a dating partner to have sex; risky sex such as premarital sex without using a condom; and masochistic sex such as spanking during sex.

There is a "dose response" at work here. "The more parents spank, the higher the probability of harmful side effects," Straus noted.

Of course, there's a similar dose response for smokers. But if someone reaches the age of 65 without developing lung cancer, it doesn't mean that smoking isn't harmful. It means the person was one of the lucky ones.

It's the same with spanking, Straus said. "If a person says, 'I was spanked, and I don't have any interest in bondage and discipline sex, that's correct, but it's not because spanking is OK, it's because they're one of the lucky ones."

And spanking a child once may be like picking up that first cigarette. "The trouble is, if you have a 2-year-old, you pretty soon decide you can't avoid it. The recidivism rate for whatever 'crime' you correct a 2-year-old for is about 50 percent in two hours."

"I've been researching corporal punishment for 30 years and, in the course of that time, the evidence has accumulated that it doesn't work any better than non-corporal punishment but has harmful side effects. I have come to the conclusion that parents should never, ever spank because, although it does work, it's no better than non-hitting methods that don't have harmful side effects. If there was an FDA for spanking, they'd say use an alternative that doesn't have harmful side effects."

content by:

SOURCES: Murray Straus, Ph.D., co-director, Family Research Laboratory, University of New Hampshire, Durham; Elizabeth Gershoff, Ph.D., assistant professor, School of Social Work, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor; Feb. 28, 2008, presentation, American Psychological Association's Summit on Violence and Abuse in Relationships, Bethesda, Md.

What are your views on spanking? Spare the rod and spoil the child or there are better alternatives out there which work equally well.
Last edited by Zephyr on 2nd Mar, '08, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Re: Spanking Raises Chances of Risky, Deviant Sexual Behavio

Post by Morrolan » 2nd Mar, '08, 06:53

the article looks and reads like self-glorification of one person who tries to push his ideas on this subject.

i think it's utter rubbish (the 'conclusions' of this 'study', not the fact that you shouldn't spank).

if this were true nearly every adult should be a deviant sex fiend.

i think spanking is not done, generally, however, there may be times when a stern lecture just isn't enough and a slap on the bottom or hand may send a stronger, more direct message.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 2nd Mar, '08, 17:22

agree with you M, if it were true most adults I know would be deviant sex fiends
(oh wait,, no just kidding) ;)

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 2nd Mar, '08, 17:52

I was spanked and caned with regular frequency at boarding school.

Mind you, I am also a deviant sex field.

Mabel
Aged Member
Mood: Confuzzled

Post by Mabel » 2nd Mar, '08, 17:53

That is a very poorly argued case. :roll:

Um, the article, I mean. Not you FM. :mrgreen:

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 2nd Mar, '08, 18:02

FM: I think 'boarding school' are the key words there [smilie=whistle.gif]

Tack
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Tack » 2nd Mar, '08, 20:01

I am more intrigued as to what agricultural spaces have to do with FM's sexual deviancy!
My convent boarding school did not prepare me for that :(

Against smacking. I tried it on mine (2-3 times on elder one, once on younger, each time I felt terrible) but it was obvious that I could be more effective through other methods. I was smacked and expected to do the same but with certain differences to my own parents' approach. It really was unnecessary in my kids' case as they have grown up to be darlings...like I would know about deviancy or undarling-like behaviour in my own offspring :shock:

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 2nd Mar, '08, 20:45

Anyone who has twin daughters make sure you spank them on a regular basis. And introduce them to me when they are about 16!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 3rd Mar, '08, 10:21

16 year-old girls are illegal for you, FB :shock:

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 3rd Mar, '08, 10:22

He needs two years to cultivate the impression that he's a nice guy.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 3rd Mar, '08, 10:25

Oh. Well, then...... [smilie=rotflmao.gif] :shock:

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 3rd Mar, '08, 10:37

If you goggle spank then you goggle smack I am sure each would lead you to very different websites. Unless it is a case of American terminology being different to the rest of the world the good “professor” is playing with words. There is also a huge difference between violent and abusive punishment and a smack. Learning that there is always a consequence to unacceptable behavior is a fundamental aspect of development. As adults we are all aware of the line that should not be crossed and those who aren’t should lose the right to parent.
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 3rd Mar, '08, 10:50