Reading to kids

Looking for tips on how to control the rugrats ? Want to know what the latest trend in baby strollers is ?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Fyn
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Relaxed

Reading to kids

Post by Fyn » 8th Mar, '08, 08:52

Kids turn over a new leaf with books

By Susie O'Brien
March 07, 2008 02:45am
Article from: Herald Sun

JUST 15 minutes of reading a day can turn pre-school brats into brains, an expert says.

And children who are read aloud to daily can improve their reading ability at school by up to 40 per cent, according to a Centre for Community and Child Health study.

Early reading also can triple children's reading achievements compared with those who do not read at home, the literature review shows.

However, fewer than half of children are read to every day by their parents or a family member, the most recent Australian Institute of Family Studies figures show. One in five are read to just one or two days a week.
Enlarge Beauty Buzz: Pregnancy beauty reviews
Blogs Beauty Addict:Beauty products in pregnancy

This week, the Victorian Government said every toddler would get a free picture book as part of a bid to boost literacy rates.

Under the $2.1 million program, which was unveiled by Minister for Children Maxine Morand, every two-year-old visiting a maternal health centre gets a book.

"It is never too early for parents to start reading to their children," Ms Morand said.

"Reading to a child is not only a great way for parents to bond with their children, it stimulates the child to develop communication skills that will get them off to strong start at kindergarten and primary school."

The latest literacy benchmarking data shows 94 per cent of girls and 91 per cent of boys meet reading standards in grade 3.

But nearly 40 per cent of those in poor areas are lagging behind.

Deakin University literacy expert Leonie Rowan said parents didn't need to hot-house children or spend money on tutors.

"It's just a case of sitting down with them for 15 minutes a day and reading to them, doing something together that's fun for you and them," she said.

"Every minute you spend does make a difference. Some kids get to school with more than 1000 hours of reading under their belt.

"This gives them a huge advantage."

Reading was also used as a behaviour modification, Dr Rowan said.

"We've seen situations where children are having difficulties with life generally. When they are introduced to books as part of treatment for their behavioural problems, there is always an improvement".

Dr Rowan said she realised parents were very busy, so it could be hard to find the time, but it was worth it.

-----------------------------------------------

Little M loves his books and especially loves it when we read them with him. It's awesome to watch him enjoy a book.

Reading to Babies, Toddlers and Young Children The Why? The What? And the How?

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Re: Reading to kids

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 8th Mar, '08, 09:04

Mini-Scummy DEVOURS books. Literally ;)

But he does ask regularly for boooooooook, so will persevere.

Fyn
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Fyn » 8th Mar, '08, 09:08

Scummy Mummy wrote:But he does ask regularly for boooooooook, so will persevere.
So does little M :D . Either one of us will always make it a point to read with him when he comes running with a book.

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 9th Mar, '08, 10:58

It was our nightly ritual for years - right up to big boys' books. Neither of us would've have missed it for quids.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

azzam

Post by azzam » 9th Mar, '08, 10:59

No Fat Bob, he managed "Playboy" on his own. :D

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 9th Mar, '08, 11:09

azzam wrote:It was our nightly ritual for years - right up to big boys' books. Neither of us would've have missed it for quids.
Absolutely Azz. I'm not sure who enjoys it most, me or the BFG-lettes. Especially the stories where you can do sound effects and different voices!!!

Hoorah, says I!!

[smilie=yahoo.gif] [smilie=yahoo.gif] [smilie=yahoo.gif]
Life's too short...

azzam

Post by azzam » 9th Mar, '08, 12:15

And the books are so cool! I need an excuse to read kids books again.
Dr.Suess, Winnie the Pooh, Rudyard Kipling, The BFG!! The original Pinocchio is a great read. Treasure Island.
Lovely memories. Sniff...

Fyn
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Fyn » 9th Mar, '08, 14:33

azzam wrote:And the books are so cool! I need an excuse to read kids books again.
Dr.Suess, Winnie the Pooh, Rudyard Kipling, The BFG!! The original Pinocchio is a great read. Treasure Island.
Lovely memories. Sniff...
Come visit. You are more than welcome to read with little M. :D

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 9th Mar, '08, 15:44

Thanks for that! I finally got the kid to stop devouring books :D but he still loves to read them. Books here are really expensive, though, especially the nice picture storybooks, so whenever friends or family ask me about gifts to buy for him, I always request a book. It's nice to have copies on the shelf that have been inscribed by a dear friend or beloved relative. I even have two signed by the author! I borrow a lot from the library, which means I have to be extra vigilant to teach the kid how to handle a book.

I used to work in a bookstore and was overjoyed when they'd assign me to the children's section. Some of the stories and artwork just blow me away - so imaginative! I love the books as much as he does.

I can already see the benefits, at 20 months he can identify numbers and letters. He doesn't know their individual names yet, but gets excited every time he sees a single number or letter. Benefits aside, I think we all just do it because it's fun.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 9th Mar, '08, 21:45

In our house we read nearly every night. My 12yo still sits with us and helps read to his little brother, who is a bit lazy and still likes to be read to. To get the little one to join in we take turns reading a page each, it is great fun. I make a point of doing it as often as we can, besides I love all those books too.

On the other hand Mr P doesn't see the enjoyment in it at all, is really bad at reading out aloud, likes to get it over and done with asap and doesn't get into the stories at all. Very sad. I think it stems back to him never having had the same when he was a kid, his parents apparently never read to him at all and the only reading he did was at school. Now he is one of those people who doesn't read books at all, and can't see the enjoyment of sitting with a good book and savouring every bit of it.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 9th Mar, '08, 22:21

Can't imagine not reading books at all :shock: I think one of the greatest things that has resulted from moving here is that TV is crap - or at least it certainly was when we arrived 4 years ago & I haven't bothered to re-check it since :lol: - so Mr. S & I both spend much of our free time in the evenings (after the small slinkies have gone to bed) reading. Of course the small slinkies like to read books with us also & most nights we get a couple of stories in before bed - thankfully they are over the 'literal devouring' stage ;) Seems like I've read somewhere that 2 things are important with regards to children and reading - 1) read to them/with them as often as possible (as noted in Fyn's article above) and 2) let them see you - their parents - reading for enjoyment. I suppose that second one falls under the category of leading by example :)

Fyn
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Fyn » 10th Mar, '08, 06:45

slinky wrote: 2) let them see you - their parents - reading for enjoyment. I suppose that second one falls under the category of leading by example :)
That's exactly right. When we are reading and little M is playing, he stops playing, picks up a book and sits with us and enjoys his book.

It says the same thing in the other link I provided at the bottom of the article.
"Let your child see that reading is part of your life. Do you have books and newspapers in the house?"

This bit cracked me up.
"Don't forget: the written word is all around us. We don't only read books - we read shop names, road signs, shopping lists, advertisements, birthday cards.... All are a chance to show your child how reading works. There is even a bit of jargon to describe this writing: ENVIRONMENTAL PRINT."

Drives M up the wall when his dad reads all the roads signs when we are in the car. Warning to parents "Habits can be hard to break." :lol:

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 10th Mar, '08, 08:55

The library is a wonderful place, and freely avaiable resource for the mum's to take the toddler. You're even able to order books you want to read!!! When I was a wee kiddy everyone in our school also had library book bags (made of courderouy for the most part in the 70's - suspect mine was orange) - do they still do that anywhere?

In those days too the library where I lived had late night opening on Wednesday night, and my dad used to do at one evening everyweek for years - from about age of 3 onwards I spent a good number of those evenings going to work with him and sitting quietly in the corner entertaining myself - with the toys in the early days and also with all the books - (clearly this was back in the days where there seemed to be less people, and less fear). When people talk about memories of their father, this is probably one of my big ones.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 10th Mar, '08, 10:06

I never read Winnie the Pooh or Wind in the Willows when I was a kid for some reason, discovered Famous Five and Narnia and nothing else ever measured up, but am really enjoying reading them for the first time with an um attentive but hungry audience :)
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 10th Mar, '08, 10:17

Funnily enough, Winnie the Pooh or Wind in the Willows also passed me by, also missed out on Gum Nut Babies. when older I consumed anything to do with detective series like Nancy Drew, Trixie Beldon, The Three Investigators, Hardy Boys - but can't remember a single plot now. When younger still a bit vague but seem to remember the scary monster books to this day. Also remember a one about these colourful blob creatures that I think were a series. Actually the truth is that I looked at a A LOT of comics because my dad was into them (only in his 20s) - and a lot of Archie and Jughead crossed my path.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 10th Mar, '08, 10:21

Isnt that funny, same here, Trixie Beldon oh joy and Archie mags, I loved them. I really feel like I missed out on the kids books so this time around I intend to read them all :)
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 10th Mar, '08, 13:37

Fyn wrote:This bit cracked me up.
"Don't forget: the written word is all around us. We don't only read books - we read shop names, road signs, shopping lists, advertisements, birthday cards.... All are a chance to show your child how reading works. There is even a bit of jargon to describe this writing: ENVIRONMENTAL PRINT."
Oh, we are heavy into this these days, and not necessarily by (my) choice, mind you [smilie=lol2.gif] The small slinkies are forever asking me what this sign says and what that sign says - particularly great when they are riding in the back seat and I'm driving :roll:

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 10th Mar, '08, 17:55

slinky wrote:Can't imagine not reading books at all :shock: I think one of the greatest things that has resulted from moving here is that TV is crap - or at least it certainly was when we arrived 4 years ago & I haven't bothered to re-check it since :lol: - so Mr. S & I both spend much of our free time in the evenings (after the small slinkies have gone to bed) reading. Of course the small slinkies like to read books with us also & most nights we get a couple of stories in before bed - thankfully they are over the 'literal devouring' stage ;) Seems like I've read somewhere that 2 things are important with regards to children and reading - 1) read to them/with them as often as possible (as noted in Fyn's article above) and 2) let them see you - their parents - reading for enjoyment. I suppose that second one falls under the category of leading by example :)

Mr P is a great newspaper reader, and the TV, well I don't watch it that much but he sits in front of it all the time. A sports nut who watches anything and everything on there, hence no reading done by him! :roll: On the other hand I go off into a another room, put some music on and curl up with a book. :D

Reading is such a great escape as well and takes you so many places. I can't imagine not reading at all.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

BFG

Post by BFG » 11th Mar, '08, 17:38

BFG Minor has just come home with one of my childhood favourites - it suddenly made me realise how much time has passed...
Life's too short...

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 11th Mar, '08, 18:34

Written on stone tablet, was it ?
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

BFG

Post by BFG » 11th Mar, '08, 19:11

daffodil wrote:Written on stone tablet, was it ?
Have you suddenly started channeling the spirit of Mrs H?

That was unnecessary and beaneath you, Dafflette...

[smilie=langue.gif]
Life's too short...

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 11th Mar, '08, 21:43

Damn funny though... :D

Fyn
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Fyn » 12th Mar, '08, 08:27

Pinklepurr wrote:Damn funny though... :D
Have to agree. :D

BFG

Post by BFG » 12th Mar, '08, 14:41

Hummmph!!!

Where's the "flounce" emoticon when you need it...

[smilie=langue2.gif]
Life's too short...

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 14th Mar, '08, 15:33

click on the most popular videos and check out the 17-month-old who can read
http://www.msn.com
WOW :o
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.