books for 6monyhs

Looking for tips on how to control the rugrats ? Want to know what the latest trend in baby strollers is ?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

books for 6monyhs

Post by Satellite » 4th Nov, '09, 14:23

Went to the library to get the little guy some story books and was at a loss as to what kind to get.
(In the end I got two story books with colourful pictures . One with just words like yawn, pinch etc and other with a very short story ie one sentence per page) - not to many of these, a needle in a haystack. Nearly all the books were for pre-schoolersand above.

What kind of books did you read to your little ones when they are 6 months old?

Where do you get your books from. (not keen on buying)
Last edited by Satellite on 4th Nov, '09, 14:27, edited 2 times in total.

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Re: books for 6monyhs

Post by azzam » 4th Nov, '09, 14:36

I think at that age it's just important that they hear your voice isn't it? You could read them a cookbook and they'd be amused. It's the time and the bonding that's most important.
I think I used to buy mine those cloth books and ones that made funny animal sounds, if anything. He was more interested in eating them, than reading them. I'm all for buying books meself.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 4th Nov, '09, 14:49

I love the library, and they do have board books for babies, but they all look like they've been used for teething practice already. Baby Sate will no doubt want to have a taste too. The library does have a terrific selection of picture storybooks, and it's been a great way for us to try out ones we think we might like, and if they become a solid favorite, we'll buy them.

Let's see, what were Wolfie's favorite books at 6 months? His ultimate all-time favorite, and I knew this because when I'd whip out this book he'd kick his feet and squeal - go figure. It was Happy Baby 123, chunky board book with big colorful pictures. DK books, I think. We used to look at the pictures and count the objects and for some reason he just loved this book.

For story books you can try authors like:
Margaret Wise Brown (Goodnight Moon, Big Red Barn)
Eric Carle (Hungry Caterpillar, Brown Bear)
Lucy Cousins (Maisy books)

We also have been known to just sit in front of the shelf and pull books out one by one to see if they're appropriate.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 4th Nov, '09, 15:09

What about the race card for the local gee gees? Put a bet on the horse name that gets the biggest giggle.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 4th Nov, '09, 15:10

Burbage wrote:What about the race card for the local gee gees? Put a bet on the horse name that gets the biggest giggle.
shocking idea
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 4th Nov, '09, 15:12

I think that's the only thing Kevin Rudd's got right since he became Prime minister.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 4th Nov, '09, 15:27

Thanks LVS. Didn't see any board books there. Will ask librarian. Maybe I got the wrong section. (they have got parenting & pregnancy in the children's section :shock: )

Azz- I've already got 12 of those cloth books, some with sounds. He can sit through a 10 page story (with one sentence per page) and will not put books in his mouth if I direct him to the picutres.
Last edited by Satellite on 4th Nov, '09, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 4th Nov, '09, 15:33

Julia Donaldson (Gruffalo etc). Things with rhyme/rhythm are good (and will last until they're at least 3 - haven't goy beyond that though). They do wreck books though. Our "Room on the Broom: has huge bits missing, but luckliy I can remember it by now.

Mini also liked the pop up "Dear Zoo". I remember he once had a meltdown on the plane about 8 months and I just started repeating it and it calmed him down!

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 4th Nov, '09, 15:35

I meant to say before - I think you're spot on to look for books with only one sentence on each page. For us, anything more and the attention span went out the window!
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 4th Nov, '09, 16:31

MsA1 and 2 loved flash cards as well as books. Mine loved ones with bright pictures or moving bits. The flash cards were a hit though always fun.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 5th Nov, '09, 05:49

little M loves the books by John Butler which we started reading to him when he was around 6 months, one of these books (Ten in the Meadow) is still his favourite bedtime book, and he can recite it word for word now.
Last edited by Morrolan on 5th Nov, '09, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 5th Nov, '09, 07:53

We have a huge library selection; books and stationary have always been a weakness in this house!
One book that stood out with all three of mine, particular Pos I, was this book…

http://www.amazon.com/Here-Come-Aliens- ... 563&sr=1-1

Definitely on my Top-10 children’s book list
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 5th Nov, '09, 07:56

our wee neice loves books. it's just fascinating to watch her with them. she follows allong the words in sequence, and rubs her little hands across the pictures. totally knows what's going on. she also likes to have a bit of a chew occassionally. Reckon it's good to get them their own books just from a hygiene & chew perspective :) those hard books are pretty good. We've got the caterpillar book, and a furry touchy feel one, and pop up ones, the how much do I love you ones. Unfortunately I don't know which are the favourite ones because I'm not there at all (boo hoo), but she's definitely got them.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 5th Nov, '09, 08:25

dear ZOO

Fyn
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Relaxed

Post by Fyn » 5th Nov, '09, 10:54

Morrolan wrote:little M loves the books by John Butler which we started reading to him when he was around 6 months, one of these books (Ten in the Meadow) is still his favourite bedtime book, and he can recite it word for word now.
The other John Butler books Lil M loves are Can you Cuddle Like a Koala Bear, & Bedtime in The Jungle.

He also loves Mem Fox's - Where is the Green Sheep & Never Say Boo To A Goose.

Oh and there's The Very Lazy Ladybird by Isobel Finn & Jack Tickle.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 5th Nov, '09, 13:52

Thanks all!