Teeth

Looking for tips on how to control the rugrats ? Want to know what the latest trend in baby strollers is ?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Teeth

Post by Aliya » 23rd May, '10, 20:59

MsA2 has just turned 2 but does not have her eyeteeth (none of the 4) nor her back molars yet. Is this normal? MsA1 woke up one morning with them all thorugh really so never had this issue before.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Re: Teeth

Post by slinky » 24th May, '10, 10:08

Let me understand, so she only has 4 teeth total? The 2 front teeth on the top and bottom? If she only has 4 teeth total at age 2, I'm not sure if that's common or 'normal' - it seems very slow, but who knows, right? Teeth seem to vary fairly wildly from child to child from my little twins experiment we've got going on over here ;) What does her pediatrician say about it?

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 24th May, '10, 10:19

my uncle got three sets of teeth, who knows what normal is.. if you are really concerned see a dr.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 24th May, '10, 13:20

Sorry I wasnt clear. She has ALL her teeth except for eye teeth and her back molars.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 24th May, '10, 13:37

She's not a vampire then.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 24th May, '10, 13:56

Hmmm not sure on that one to be honest lol

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 24th May, '10, 15:24

Aliya wrote:Sorry I wasnt clear. She has ALL her teeth except for eye teeth and her back molars.

Back molars could just be slow coming & I don't remember how many molars children should even have by age 2, but the missing eye teeth sounds a bit strange. I'd take her to a dentist - best with a pediatric one as they are very likely to want to try and get x-rays (they won't be able to tell much without x-rays I don't think).

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 24th May, '10, 18:25

My friend here's 4 year old has just had some crowns done :o And a pulpectomy, apparently (I had to google), all under GA. Friend got 3 opinions before going ahead with it.

Poor little thing :(

sardippy
Limp Member
Mood: Indifferent

Post by sardippy » 25th May, '10, 06:26

Aliya wrote:MsA2 has just turned 2 but does not have her eyeteeth (none of the 4) nor her back molars yet. Is this normal? MsA1 woke up one morning with them all thorugh really so never had this issue before.
I've worked in children's dentistry for a long time and would say not to worry at all yet. How old was MsA2 when her first tooth erupted? If she was 4mths like my daughter, I'd be concerned, but some kids don't get their first teeth through til 13mths old, then a delay for the entire sequence of eruption is perfectly normal. And you know what, if for some bizarre reason they're all missing, there's nothing you can do about it until she's much older, so either way, no need to worry for ages yet. Hope that's of some help?

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 25th May, '10, 08:16

Geez - root canal at 4! :o How awful for that little child. I had my first root canal at 10 and they had to put me under otherwise I'd have been traumatized for life. The past 10 years have been like dominoes, one root canal after another. If I was a horse, I'd be glue by now.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 25th May, '10, 12:41

Braces on children as young as 6 seems to be the “in thing” at the moment. I have lost count of the number of friends whose children have colour-coded smiles!!
Pos I was briefly considering dentistry at uni, more because of its ability to fund his expensive hobbies than a love of teeth.
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 25th May, '10, 12:46

Possum wrote:Braces on children as young as 6 seems to be the “in thing” at the moment. I have lost count of the number of friends whose children have colour-coded smiles!!
Pos I was briefly considering dentistry at uni, more because of its ability to fund his expensive hobbies than a love of teeth.
Hmmmm, trying to think of the point of braces on baby teeth. The only reason I can think of is if the way the baby teeth have grown in will adversely affect the way the permanent teeth will be spaced as they come in.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 25th May, '10, 12:48

Thanks Sardippy. She didn't get her first teeth until about 13 months - front four - then others came slowly and now just waiting on eye teeth so maybe she is slow teether. Her paed isn't concerned but said if not through by 2.5 years to go to paed dentist.

Am still horried about your stories of root canals and braces, I had braces but not until 14! MsA1 has a receding jaw and a gap in her teeth when she closes them so expect something will have to happen later on with her! Hmmm denistry insurance, whereforarthou

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 25th May, '10, 12:49

No idea. I do seem to hear a lot of talk about over-bite or under-bite and the jaw….
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 25th May, '10, 13:16

One of my supervisors daughter had to go the whole reconstructed jaw thing because of receding jaw line, big bucks.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 25th May, '10, 13:22

I'm sure Aliya really wants to know that.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 25th May, '10, 13:37

I'm trying to think how old my nephew was when he had his braces on -- he's 13 now and they're off. I know he wasn't 6 but certainly by age 9 or 10 I'll bet he had them on because they came off last year when he was 12. I guess I started orthodontics work when I was 8 or 9 now that I think of it. Ugh. There's absolutely no doubt Little Boy Slink will need work -- his permanent teeth coming in on the bottom are a mess :( However, so far, Slinkette's permanent teeth appear to be coming in nicely - very straight *fingers crossed*

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 25th May, '10, 14:01

slinky wrote:II guess I started orthodontics work when I was 8 or 9 now that I think of it.
Whereas my adult teeth were coming through in 1970s Britain, where the dentist's answer to the chronic overcrowding was just to remove a stack of molars and leave the rest to fight it out in any direction they could grow. There's one British stereotype that's entirely deserved! [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 25th May, '10, 14:13

Dentists have one of the highest suicide rates...

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 25th May, '10, 14:24

Possum wrote:Dentists have one of the highest suicide rates...
I wonder why that is?

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 25th May, '10, 14:34

If you saw my mum's teeth you wouldn't ask!

I think Americans are much more into teeth care than we Brits. I'm bloody terrified so have only been to the dentist once since we came to Singapore. I suppose I really should go again........

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 25th May, '10, 16:18

When I go to the dentist, I feel as if I am in an episode of Cheers
We are the TPF

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 25th May, '10, 16:19

Does the whole staff yell: 'BoD!' when you walk in the door or something? :lol: