Lists and more list. Favourite Children Books

Looking for tips on how to control the rugrats ? Want to know what the latest trend in baby strollers is ?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Lists and more list. Favourite Children Books

Post by Tas » 11th Jun, '13, 12:41

Mainly carried out locally in Sydney throught Sydney Story Factory (a very worthy cause, the Saturday Adventures would love it ;)

I didn't think it through when I voted for Diary of a Wombat as a fave, but stand by it in my own top 10 selection. I thought they meant toddler age as I voted - there again I found it in my 30s hahaha

Enjoy a reminisce.

Pretty sure there must be some other countrys favourite childrens books. I'd certainly be interested to know what they are - am going to compile this list for the kiddy winks in my life. But I'd certainly like to widen their horizons with a books from non-english speaking areas presuming can find translations. (For example I adored Heidi, which I thought was originally a Swiss work, and had expected to see on the list actually, wondering what else I have missed out on)
Attachments
Sydneys-50-favourite-childrens-books-20133.pdf
Local Favourite Kids Books
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 275 times
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: Lists and more list. Favourite Children Books

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 11th Jun, '13, 14:05

Tas!!! You KNOW I love this!!! :)

I've come across all kinds of lists, good ones are the Caldecott and Newbery Medal winners lists. The Newbery Medal recognizes the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children. The Caldecott Medal recognizes the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children. The UK has the Carnegie Medal, while the Guardian Award is for Commonwealth authors. I trawl these lists from time to time for ideas. Some of the Young Adult literature deals with very challenging life issues in surprisingly bold ways. I love children's literature, all ages.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 11th Jun, '13, 14:13

Don't let the pigeon fly the plane.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

azukixx
Lurker
Mood: scratchy

Post by azukixx » 11th Jun, '13, 16:05

Roald Dahl's Matilda always. That and The Little Prince.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 11th Jun, '13, 22:24

I had a really bizarre conversation at Perth Airport with a bloke who was reminiscing about the Faraway Tree, while looking at pictures of women's bums on his phone.

My favorite (as an adult, for Mini) is Room on the Broom. The mums are school were pretty ... Ok, I'm going to go for impressed ... When I recited it from memory the other day.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 12th Jun, '13, 10:55

Now that is a weird list...what a mixture of old and new, young and old etc.

My favourite (kids, well tweens) books are by Eoin Colfer, especially his Artemis Fowl series but all his others as well, I haven't read one I didn't like just bought the new one out too and yet to read it, er I mean the boys have yet to read it. *cough cough* I like his adult books too and the last of the HGTTG which he wrote as well.

Ooh, Room on the Broom. Love it, there are some books that despite your children having outgrown them you just hold on to, and that is one of them. heh heh
The witch tapped the broomstick Whoosh! They were gone. I'm impressed Scrummy!
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 12th Jun, '13, 15:22

Scrummy Mummy wrote:I had a really bizarre conversation at Perth Airport with a bloke who was reminiscing about the Faraway Tree, while looking at pictures of women's bums on his phone.

My favorite (as an adult, for Mini) is Room on the Broom. The mums are school were pretty ... Ok, I'm going to go for impressed ... When I recited it from memory the other day.
Everything Julia Donaldson writes is top notch wit and wordcraft. She's brilliant!
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 15th Jun, '13, 09:13

So pleased to see snugglepot and cuddlepie on there. I was totally obsessed with it as a child. Although its held together with tape now it still sits proudly on my shelve :)
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.