Nappies and Night Time

Looking for tips on how to control the rugrats ? Want to know what the latest trend in baby strollers is ?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

kittykat
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: In a state of flux

Nappies and Night Time

Post by kittykat » 9th May, '08, 12:20

Baby KK is well underway with his toilet training. It's great to see him pee - watching him lift up the seat and stand on his tip-toes taking aim. But then I boast as a mother. He doesn't need a nappy during the day or when he's awake.

He's still wearing nappies at night and I want to know how the devil I know when to take him out of nappies at night. Is there any approach for doing this? I seriously don't have a clue how to do this.

Any parents with advice please share and I'll be forever grateful. I am at a bit of a loss here... :?

Stoopid idyiat I am - cannot spell greatful/grateful. Edit...
Last edited by kittykat on 9th May, '08, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
Because you're worth it...

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: Nappies and Night Time

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 9th May, '08, 12:32

I haven't reached that stage yet, but I think Wolfie's getting ready. He's already noticed that I don't have a wee-wee. [smilie=w00t.gif]
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Tack

Post by Tack » 9th May, '08, 12:32

Maybe not for ages KK, this can be a totally separate development for boys. An easy sign is a dry nappy in the morning. My boys fell at opposite ends of the spectrum. One dry at 2 (but I only knew because I was a bit quick removing his nappy one morning and he complained he hadn't wee'd in it yet! The other not dry till...er...much much later.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 9th May, '08, 12:35

We've taken nappies off BBIII already. No point in making him feel constricted at night and plus he finds playing with his willy very soothing.

Obviously you need to ensure that the maid gets up at 5am to clear out the mess and let some air into the room.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

kittykat

Post by kittykat » 9th May, '08, 12:36

Thanks Tack. So it maybe a while. I get him to pee before he goes to bed at night but his nappy is wet in the morning. Tack - is it perfectly acceptable to wear nappies until they are a bit older? Is it up until 4 or later? Baby KK is 3.5 next month so I'm getting a bit older...

Lily - I hear you. Baby KK is fascinated with "mummy's panties" and seems to find it so funny.

kittykat

Post by kittykat » 9th May, '08, 12:36

baloo wrote:We've taken nappies off BBIII already. No point in making him feel constricted at night and plus he finds playing with his willy very soothing.

Obviously you need to ensure that the maid gets up at 5am to clear out the mess and let some air into the room.
Really or are you joking??

Tack

Post by Tack » 9th May, '08, 12:41

Oh god, some of you know this poor lad. But he wore pull ups until he couldn't fit into them (and he was very slim hipped)! He still needed them for longer still but you begin to devise 'other' strategies for sleepovers, school trips etc. Of course at some stage most will take their son to doc to rule out physical problems but in our case it was down to genetics (haha, and even more of you know him!).

Tack

Post by Tack » 9th May, '08, 12:48

Just to add: KK have you tried him without a nappy for a few nights in succession? The nappy may be delaying dryness because it doesn't get uncomfortably wet and he 'knows' a nappy can be pee'd in.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 9th May, '08, 12:49

Joking KK.

kittykat

Post by kittykat » 9th May, '08, 13:00

Tack wrote:Just to add: KK have you tried him without a nappy for a few nights in succession? The nappy may be delaying dryness because it doesn't get uncomfortably wet and he 'knows' a nappy can be pee'd in.
Ohhh Tack - you clever bunny... Good thinking. Must make this a night he doesn't sleep with me. I'll give that one a try. I've not got him on pull-ups yet and am trying to get him to make the leap.

Baloo... :roll: You almost had me going there.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 9th May, '08, 13:05

Same as Tack here KK. Daytime is the easy bit to work out. Night might just happen quickly or could take, er, years. My older boy still wore night time nappies/pullons until he was 7 or 8. He just didn't wake up at night to get up and go. We tried stopping drinks early etc etc but he would still not make it through. Just too sound a sleeper (and that hereditary thing had a lot to do with it too).

All of a sudden it just happened, I noticed that when he got ready for school in the morning that he always had a dry pullon and so I said to him that it was time to stop and he did. We may have had one or two accidents after that but nothing else.

If the nappy is dry in the morning for several days in a row there is a good chance he will make it through. However, if he is still having a drink of anything up to an hour before going to bed he is unlikely to make it, especially if he is a solid sleeper.

You have to make sure that he doesn't do what Tack added just above either. My younger son has a habit now older of not rushing off to the toilet in the morning and just using the pull-on instead (boys! :roll: ) and so I can never tell if he is dry all night or not. We are still waiting for him to get to the next stage.

My best friends son however is the opposite and was night time trained within a month of day time toilet training at age 2 and a bit.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

kittykat

Post by kittykat » 9th May, '08, 13:16

Thanks PP. I will try him and see how he goes. Is bribery a good tactic?? Probably not on reflection.

I'll cut his fluids tonight before bed. There have been nights where's he not wet his nappy. Do I need to communicate with him about not wetting his nappy or will that freak the little guy???

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 9th May, '08, 13:22

If he is doing well at his day time stuff then just encourage him and explain that this will happen too if he tries. You know the normal stuff. I would just check him and if it is wet casually ask if he does it in the morning or wakes up like that. Just make sure you have a good mattress protector etc before you start off doing this! Good luck.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

kittykat

Post by kittykat » 9th May, '08, 13:33

Thanks PP and Tack... Really appreciate your advice. [smilie=kissing2.gif]

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 9th May, '08, 13:33

Now my two are somewhat opposite of this --- little boy slink was waking with a dry nappy pretty much at the same time he was dry all day. However, I kept him in a nappy at night for some months anyway until a friend of mine said, 'why are you doing that? Just stop if he's very consistently dry in the morning.' So I did & he's been great ever since although some mornings he wakes up and claims he 'doesn't have to go' when I remind him to use the potty :o (then he proceeds to pee a river when I make him go :roll: )

Little slinkette is great during the day - no problems at all and will get herself to the toilet when she needs it. Nighttime for her though? Well, she's apparently one of those very sound sleepers and just doesn't wake up until she's flooded the bed. We tried no nappies at night a few months back and she flooded the bed not once but twice and I do mean flooded! I did mention it to the doctor when I took them for booster shots at age 4 and the doctor said it's not really anything to worry about until she gets older - like if she gets to 7 and still can't stay dry all night. Just talked to a little girl's mother who is a full year older than mine and she's still in nappies at night too with no real sign of being able to go without yet. We might be close with her though - one night while we were in Florida we totally forgot (and so did she) to put one on at bedtime and she didn't pee the bed. I didn't try again that week though - thought it better to wait until we were home again.

I'd say it definitely varies from child to child.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 9th May, '08, 13:44

baloo wrote:We've taken nappies off BBIII already. No point in making him feel constricted at night and plus he finds playing with his willy very soothing.

This would be a great wind up on the AB :D

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 9th May, '08, 14:07

And it is Friday, after all.

kittykat

Post by kittykat » 9th May, '08, 14:19

And I did fall for it - almost... I thought I'd missed a good book on parenting tips.

Slinky - really interesting and reassuring to know that some children take a bit longer and it's all ok.
[smilie=yahoo.gif]

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 9th May, '08, 15:43

Scummy Mummy wrote:

This would be a great wind up on the AB :D
[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Haven't looked over there today, but if you haven't done this yet, baloo, do it and let us know so we can be entertained this afternoon [smilie=mango.gif]

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 9th May, '08, 16:16

Nah, going by the number of hits on this site a fair few of the old AB lurkers have found their way here. Posting that as a wind up would be shot down pretty quickly as a feeble sewing circle attempt to undermine the greatest expat board in Singapore

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 9th May, '08, 16:31

[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 9th May, '08, 16:34

baloo wrote:Nah, going by the number of hits on this site a fair few of the old AB lurkers have found their way here. Posting that as a wind up would be shot down pretty quickly as a feeble sewing circle attempt to undermine the greatest expat board in Singapore
[smilie=rotflmao.gif]