Lasagne

A place for the boards favorite recipes, healthy or not.

Moderator: canuck

SAgirlRuth
Aged Member
Mood: Optimistic

Lasagne

Post by SAgirlRuth » 6th Jul, '08, 19:53

You know how sometime you have mediocre lasagne and then sometimes you have really amazing lasagne? What do you think makes the really good lasagne so special? Is there any one ingredient? I can make OK lasagne, just wondering if there is anything special I could add to make it really good?

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Re: Lasagne

Post by Sardonicus » 6th Jul, '08, 23:39

I think my grandmother has to be involved for the good variety
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Tack
Too Much Time on my Hands

Re: Lasagne

Post by Tack » 7th Jul, '08, 01:15

The texture makes a huge difference imo. If the whole thing ends up too sloppy it is yucky but too dry isn't great either (though preferable to too slimey). So if the recipe is sometimes great the problem is either inconsistancy of ingredient quality or of prep. Simmering the ragu for ages (and letting the liquid reduce) to get a more concentrated savoriness and a drier finished product is key I think. A thick bechamel with a noticeable bay flavour is what I like, I don't think it needs the cream that some recipes recommend.

One of my friends swears by Delia's version, she adds chicken livers. It is certainly good and adds depth to the taste without being livery.