Joanne van Os - daughter died in freak accident Phuket

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Joanne van Os - daughter died in freak accident Phuket

Post by Dinosaur » 26th Feb, '09, 18:28

Apologies, I'm not too familiar with Aussie authors so don't know if Joanne van Os is that well-known or not. This story just appeared in Phuket Gazette this week, though our boat insurance man told us the story last week. I won't repeat what he said about the guy who "accidentally touched the throttle" of the boat whilst berthing, which resulted in the girl's death. Geez, the stories you hear here sometimes.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=7112

Possum
Going Postal

Re: Joanne van Os - daughter died in freak accident Phuket

Post by Possum » 26th Feb, '09, 18:46

After reading the phuketgazette I may have to bag my trip their next month!
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 26th Feb, '09, 18:55

Possum wrote:After reading the phuketgazette I may have to bag my trip their next month!
Creepin' Jesus, you're not kidding. :o
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Zephyr
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 26th Feb, '09, 19:30

Nothing but murder, mishap and gloom reported. Pour yourself a stiff one, PK.
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 27th Feb, '09, 11:37

Zephyr wrote:Nothing but murder, mishap and gloom reported. Pour yourself a stiff one, PK.
Yeh cheers. Reading the Phuket Gazette I sometimes wonder if I'm living in the Wild West [smilie=gun.gif] . Maybe I shouldn't read it so much. I really don't know if crime is that bad compared with other places in the world (with the exception of Singapore of course). Do you get all this stuff in Oz? Certainly the UK papers report a fair number of murders and doom n gloom.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 27th Feb, '09, 14:54

rarely do we hear of heads in plastic bags on posts :o anywhere I lived, Uk or Canada, even Alaska wasn't that scary, and that is still the wild west really

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 27th Feb, '09, 15:05

The Daily Phnom Penh "Police Blotter" also makes for an interesting read... I found it recently due to some shit that went down with some friends of mine there... damn glad that I hadnt read it while I lived in SEA and made frequent weekenders to PP and SR...

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 27th Feb, '09, 15:18

I had to stop reading about the nightly occurences in Sydney's Wild Wild West and Kings Cross/Oxford Street, or I would never go over the bridge.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 27th Feb, '09, 15:23

I warned you about that side of the harbour. It's pretty similar to Underbelly without the good acting.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 27th Feb, '09, 15:27

This side has its moments. I've decided that Manly is Blackpool minus a funfair.

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 27th Feb, '09, 15:27

yes, it can get quite feral in certain areas... i felt infinitely safer knocking around Pham Nga Lau, hammered at 4:30am than i do THAT side of the bridge at 10pm. :D

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 27th Feb, '09, 15:28

I'm sure the Eastern Burbs are fine but we drove round Erskineville at the weekend, to see what our money would get us, and I realised it would get us bars on the windows.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 27th Feb, '09, 16:51

I used to party in Kings Cross and thought nothing of it, course this was a very long time ago and I was much younger then :D aaahhnd a backpacker did get shot in the stomach for her bank card one night,,, but hey I met a man who had 12 fingers and 12 toes, all functional, who knew? he also sounded like the Kurgan from Highlander :o

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 27th Feb, '09, 17:51

I think everywhere's got these kind of areas haven't they? I remember I was always reading about "local" murders in Katong around Joo Chiat - used to be hidden in dark corners of the Singapore Straits Times.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 28th Feb, '09, 10:33

Anyone who's known a police person (or someone married to one) through conversation will discover all sorts of shyte goes down that just doesn't get reported.

For example there's at least 3 or 4 things I can just think of seeing or walking past with people jumping off buildings, or scene set ups post event that I've scoured the news for information on, nary to find a mention.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 28th Feb, '09, 10:44

Like that one we saw near Hyde Park, Tas. Never did find anything out about that and it looked rather major.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 1st Mar, '09, 12:42

I wonder if you're referring to a jumper from a bank that happened about 3 years ago, I was not sure it ever made it to the papers
Tas wrote:Anyone who's known a police person (or someone married to one) through conversation will discover all sorts of shyte goes down that just doesn't get reported.

For example there's at least 3 or 4 things I can just think of seeing or walking past with people jumping off buildings, or scene set ups post event that I've scoured the news for information on, nary to find a mention.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 1st Mar, '09, 12:47

on further reading, the "Queer News" link on the PG, there is in fact some queer news "Police are hunting for the abbot of a temple after he allegedly beat up his male lover " as well as some odd ones,

"the booze-heavy lifestyle enjoyed by a fair percentage of Westerners living in the Kingdom, occasionally leads to “Angry Farang Syndrome”"

"a large middle-aged Westerner who was busy beating the inside of a police van with such fury, that none of the watching officers dared to go near"...after the officers’ efforts to calm the Aussie down failed, they decided that a dose of pepper spray might do the trick. After the Aussie was liberally doused with the noxious spray....n the process of which he, disturbingly, lost his trousers. The photo of the incident in the Thai press shows the Aussie with his trousers round his ankles, his dignity somewhat spared by a small superimposed red dot.

To view the image, click here.
http://www.matichon.co.th/khaosod/view_ ... UzB3T0E9PQ
phuketkaren wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Nothing but murder, mishap and gloom reported. Pour yourself a stiff one, PK.
Yeh cheers. Reading the Phuket Gazette I sometimes wonder if I'm living in the Wild West [smilie=gun.gif] . Maybe I shouldn't read it so much. I really don't know if crime is that bad compared with other places in the world (with the exception of Singapore of course). Do you get all this stuff in Oz? Certainly the UK papers report a fair number of murders and doom n gloom.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 1st Mar, '09, 14:33

Yes I saw those. To be fair, I think the Aussie incident happened in Bangkok, didn't it? I mean, we wouldn't have that sort of thing happen here [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

FurBaby
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: bedoggled

Post by FurBaby » 1st Mar, '09, 19:47

Sardonicus wrote:The photo of the incident in the Thai press shows the Aussie with his trousers round his ankles, his dignity somewhat spared by a small superimposed red dot.
ah, but perhaps he is now embarrassed at how small the red dot was ...