Any ideas please?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Any ideas please?

Post by Dinosaur » 7th Apr, '09, 18:13

One of my cousins and wife are intending to retire to Oz from the UK in the near future. Their younger daughter is married to an Aussie guy and they've now got a cutie little boy (Oz citizen) and I presume this makes it easy for them to retire there. Now the real puzzler is that their elder daughter also wants to get out there but apparently it's not so easy. She doesn't have the "right skills".

I find it amazing that having a close Australian relative (the babby is her nephew) and her sister living there does not allow her to move too.

Any thoughts or ideas I can pass on greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Any ideas please?

Post by Kooky » 7th Apr, '09, 18:23

I don't know anything about it but you could look up Last Remaining Relative Visa - if that's the case. It's possible your cousin is going on a Parent Visa sponsored by the daughter.

You need to go back to the other place I'm afraid. Tons of similar queries on there.

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 7th Apr, '09, 18:26

Bloody refugees...it's not like the old days :-( Last remaining relative?? Last remaining relative??? Shouldn't have left in the first place, coming over 'ere, taking our jobs. Why can't they pay six quid, like we did, eh? We were prilgrims, we were, broke the place in, we did, and now they expect to just come over 'ere, go on the dole, bring all their cousins over, can't even get a decent bed in the hospital any more...
Last edited by azzam on 7th Apr, '09, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 7th Apr, '09, 18:38

We're here because you all piss off to work in bars in Earls Court.

(You being Aussies, erm, 'cos you are Aussie, aren't you? :P)

Acksherly I don't think one family member moving here gives another the right to move here, TBH. Unless they're a fat lazy expat wife with more baggage than Heathrow, of course.

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 7th Apr, '09, 18:45

Kooky wrote:I don't know anything about it but you could look up Last Remaining Relative Visa - if that's the case. It's possible your cousin is going on a Parent Visa sponsored by the daughter.

You need to go back to the other place I'm afraid. Tons of similar queries on there.
Thanks for that. I've just googled and got a few threads though it seems to be a rather grey area doesn't it. And how do you define "close relative"? The elder daughter has a grandmother and auntie in the UK so are they "close relatives" in the eyes of the Oz authorities? Difficult one.

Anyway she's a good looking gal. Maybe she'll find some nice Aussie hunk on one of the holidays [smilie=w00t.gif]

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 7th Apr, '09, 18:52

I think DIAC is a bit wise to that one :lol:

I would think there is clarification on the immi.gov.au site but she should probably consult a MARA registered migration agent. Going down the wrong visa route can be very costly and time-consuming.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 7th Apr, '09, 20:57

I can recommend an agent, if you PM me.

As I understand it (but could be wrong) Aus resident can apply for parent visa (but not many are issued). Then as long as >50% of parents' adult children are in Oz then sibling can come across too.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 8th Apr, '09, 07:07

Speaking to my chinese colleagues about sponsorhips in the past, my understanding is that they had up to four sponsorships allocated to them, and wasn't left with impression that skills was a big issue. But may be different situation for them and for current circumstances. (Several of them came over under a big sweep of visa's allocated as post Tiannamen square)
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 8th Apr, '09, 10:14

Kooky wrote:
(You being Aussies, erm, 'cos you are Aussie, aren't you? :P)
No, that was me in my role as global emigre.
Last edited by azzam on 8th Apr, '09, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 8th Apr, '09, 14:41

Must admit I couldn't quite get the gist of Azzam's rant seeing that her location button states Singapore though maybe it's just me - I get easily confused :?

I'm going to take a look round some websites next week but it sounds rather complex and complicated (not that Australia is unique in this regard). Thanks guys.