Over-reaction or naughty, naughtly Google?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Over-reaction or naughty, naughtly Google?

Post by Kooky » 7th Jun, '10, 05:42

Talking about privacy and Big Brother watching, as we were on another thread:

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/securi ... -xn2l.html

Bit unclear why they needed to "collect data from unprotected Wi-Fi networks" while photographing the streets for google maps.

edit: I really shouldn't try to type before I have coffee.
Last edited by Kooky on 7th Jun, '10, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Re: Over-reaction or naughty, naughtly Google?

Post by Morrolan » 7th Jun, '10, 07:04

anyone that decides to have an unprotected WiFi network deserves everything that happens as a result... [smilie=whacky095.gif]

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 7th Jun, '10, 07:07

I'd say naughty Google. Not sure I buy the rogue software engineer excuse.
We are the TPF

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 7th Jun, '10, 08:02

This happened in the UK so I can't understand how it was a rogue engineer, they MUST have known what was going on, otherwise why have the ability to collect the data on the car in the first place?

However, leaving one's wifi unprotected is also very stupid and any that have should take immediate action to fix that.

Hmmmm...I read further: sounds like Google are going to give that data to the government: not sure they should have it either!
Last edited by Fat Bob on 7th Jun, '10, 08:05, edited 2 times in total.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 7th Jun, '10, 10:13

you also have to consider the source of much of this ruckous about Google: über-censorist Stephen Conroy, who will use anything to distract from his mandatory internet filter, especially if he can smear Google (who are a vocal critic of the doomed plan) in the process

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 7th Jun, '10, 12:56

I don't get why they would collect the data, but I agree that if you leave your wifi unlocked you're asking for it.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 7th Jun, '10, 12:59

Very silly Google.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 7th Jun, '10, 14:29

It HAS to be silly naughty google, who knew what they were doing, because they 'accidently' did it in several countries and continents. They have lawyers, and they would be up with privacy laws because as a comany who collects information in any of their legitimate ways they prepare privacy statements about use of information. Also they've been through the ringer enough times regarding use of facial images and car number plates in their google earth, so you can't tell me they haven't got a decent lawyer or two that hasn't discussed privacy laws with them, you just can't plead ignorance on this one.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 7th Jun, '10, 14:58

curiously, they are now also trying to patent the software...

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 8th Jun, '10, 06:27

Morrolan wrote:anyone that decides to have an unprotected WiFi network deserves everything that happens as a result... [smilie=whacky095.gif]
But you have to remember that in the Nanny State it is the Government's job to protect your wireless network for you, as well as everything else. This frees you up to live the Aussie ideal of sitting at home watching TV because everything else is too dangerous, and to pay loads of tax.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 8th Jun, '10, 07:05

Sounds like Singapore.. except the loads of tax part
We are the TPF

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 8th Jun, '10, 07:23

Actually I felt there was considerably less government interference in my life in Singapore than there is in Queensland. I don't know about the rest of Australia, not having lived there.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 8th Jun, '10, 07:51

What you feel and what is the case is probably very different. Looking at it from a sinister point of view anyhow......
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 8th Jun, '10, 08:36

Burbage wrote:Actually I felt there was considerably less government interference in my life in Singapore than there is in Queensland. I don't know about the rest of Australia, not having lived there.
i agree. and don't forget the ever present fun police...

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 9th Jun, '10, 11:13

I don't know, I just think the government in Singapore is just not so "in your face" about it all.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 9th Jun, '10, 14:35

WRT to govt interference, Fair points, but has everyone forgotten who controls the local media in Singapore?

It's feels particularly in your face in Australia partly because of the content in local news, 7:30 report and Lateline seem almost incapable of reporting anything else these days, and the daily newspaper front pages will generally always give a negative report on some aspect of local or state government. If it wasn't for the media saturation, do you think it would feel quite so much like you're being interfered with?

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 9th Jun, '10, 15:09

What/how is the information collected?
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 9th Jun, '10, 16:31

Tas wrote:WRT to govt interference, Fair points, but has everyone forgotten who controls the local media in Singapore?

It's feels particularly in your face in Australia partly because of the content in local news, 7:30 report and Lateline seem almost incapable of reporting anything else these days, and the daily newspaper front pages will generally always give a negative report on some aspect of local or state government. If it wasn't for the media saturation, do you think it would feel quite so much like you're being interfered with?
And the ABC is about to launch a 24 hour news channel when they barely have enough news to fill a half hour programme every evening.

I don't think it's just about media though. And, of course my situation is different from when I was in Singapore. But Australia is by far the most regulation driven country I've ever lived in. You can't even build a wall in your garden without a permit, unless it's under four feet or something. A lot of it is to do with funding the multiple layers of government we have. At least in Singapore there was only one government to deal with.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 9th Jun, '10, 17:05

Burbage wrote:And the ABC is about to launch a 24 hour news channel when they barely have enough news to fill a half hour programme every evening.
they'll probably fill it with AFL, cricket and Kylie Minoque...

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 9th Jun, '10, 17:08

Burbage wrote:And the ABC is about to launch a 24 hour news channel when they barely have enough news to fill a half hour programme every evening.
You've nailed the problem with 24 hour 'news,' Burb, they simply don't have enough actual news to talk about. I think the 24 hour cable news channels are the main culprits in sensationalism and scare mongering in society today.

Edit: typo
Last edited by slinky on 9th Jun, '10, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 9th Jun, '10, 17:10

Kylie's arse....MMMMMM!!!!

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 10th Jun, '10, 09:43

Ignoring some bad grammar, thought this article explains the case quite neatly. Thought the point about recording the information is quite telling - that is not just a couple lines of code, ooops, and it made it's way into every country and vehicle...

source:http://www.smh.com.au/technology/techno ... -xy80.html

Google may face prosecution over Wi-Fi data LOUISA HEARN
June 10, 2010 - 11:32AM

Technical details revealed in a Google audit could see the company could face criminal prosecution around the world for collecting private Wi-Fi data, said a UK privacy organisation.

Privacy International said it had examined an independent audit supplied by Google and believed that details from the report reveal criminal intent and placed the company at risk of "prosecution in almost all the 30 jurisdictions in which the system was used".

Google admitted last month to collecting 600GB of data from unsecured Wi-Fi networks in 30 countries while out taking photographs for its Street View mapping service.

"The independent audit of the Google system shows that the system used for the Wi-Fi collection intentionally separated out unencrypted content (payload data) of communications and systematically wrote this data to hard drives. This is equivalent to placing a hard tap and a digital recorder onto a phone wire without consent or authorisation," said PI.

The PI said the data collection went well beyond the "mistake" that has been cited by Google.

It said communications law of most countries permitted the interception and recording of content of communications only when a police or judicial warrant was issued. “All other interception is deemed unlawful.”

Google is already under investigation in Australia after the Privacy Commissioner referred its capture of Wi-Fi data to the Australian Federal Police.

“We can confirm we received a referral from the Attorney General's department. The referral relates to possible breaches of the telecommunications interception act and this matter is being evaluated by the AFP,” an AFP spokesman said this week.

Alan Eustace, Google's senior vice-president of engineering and research has not ruled out sacking the 'rogue' software engineer the company claims was behind the incident. However the privacy organisation said the issue went beyond a single person.

“This action by Google cannot be blamed on the alleged 'single engineer' who wrote the code. It goes to the heart of a systematic failure of management and of duty of care,” said PI.

The Communications Minister, Stephen Conroy, has also accused Google of deliberately engineering the "single greatest breach in the history of privacy” which he claimed had collected data that included banking transactions as well as other personal information.

Other countries, including Germany, France and Spain, are launching their own investigations into the matter and criminal charges are being considered.

"The Germans are almost certain to prosecute. Because there was intent, they have no choice but to prosecute," Simon Davies, head of PI told the BBC.

In the UK the Information Commissioner's Office has said it is reviewing the audit but that for the time being it had no plans to pursue the matter.

"I don't see any alternative but for us to go to Scotland Yard," said Mr Davies.

A Google spokesman said: "As we have said before, this was a mistake. The report today confirms that Google did indeed collect and store payload data from unencrypted Wi-Fi networks, but not from networks that were encrypted. We are continuing to work with the relevant authorities to respond to their questions and concerns."

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 10th Jun, '10, 10:12

Regardless of whether or not there was 'rogue code' why they driving around with the necessary hardware in the first place?
We are the TPF

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 10th Jun, '10, 10:28

'zactly

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 10th Jun, '10, 10:53

They are mapping WiFi hotspots/coverage. Whether public or private coverage for now. I can see the value in having that data and as they are dabbling into the ISP market in the US, I'd assume they are looking at whether there is a market for something else.

Not too much of a stretch to see a day where people with their own Wireless routers could start providing internet access to neighbours in the area for a fee/reduced bill. i.e. Google start a virtual ISP, I sign up and have a decent wireless router. If neighbours want to use Google as well, they have the option of using my wireless hotspot or getting their own kit. If they use my router, Google reduce my fee.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.