Internet question - Perth WA

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Internet question - Perth WA

Post by Beesknees » 24th Jan, '12, 10:23

Here we go again.....

Just put an offer on a flat in WA. It's brand new and the second bedroom has been set up as an office HOWEVER the ADSL lines have only been put in the living room (2 lots) and main bedroom.
The offer we've submitted has asked for the second bedroom to have the ADSL line and an electrical socket installed aswell however the landlord has said no.

I'm not very technical (and Mr BK is in Japan and I can't contact him) but I believe that wireless in Perth (or even all over Australia) is not that great. Is it?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Internet question - Perth WA

Post by Fat Bob » 24th Jan, '12, 11:10

Buy your own wireless router and install it where ever you want. Then buy wireless adaptors for any pcs without wireless (mainly desktops).
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 24th Jan, '12, 11:53

I'm still utterly and completely surprised you moved back to Australia given you never seemed to had much good to say about the place or people from living there previously. Wireless is location dependent, personally I've found it fantastic and my supplier has been very good to date, but I'm in heavily populated area on the east coast . I use Unwired. My neighbour uses TPG and said they were good too in our location. But the router is obvious solution. Surprised that the room doesn't have any already have an electrical socket.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 24th Jan, '12, 11:57

We've got wireless (Telstra) and it works well (fast) when it works!

But we did have a few issues with the connection (wired and unwired) a few weeks ago. The Testra guy kind of fixed it, but it still cuts out sporadically and he's not sure why!

Heard good things about iinet.

We also have a mobile wifi thingy, also from Telstra, so you could do that if you don't want to get a router.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 24th Jan, '12, 12:32

We have Telstra ADSL with router and it runs up to 5 different wireless devices in our house, apart from the occasional dropout, it works brilliantly.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 24th Jan, '12, 12:51

Mmm thanks all. I suppose cos the agent himself brought up the issue and pointed out that there were these fast ADSL points connected everywhere AND then we discovered there wasn't one where there should be. That sort of threw up warning bells to me.

Tas - I can't remember slagging Oz or Aussies off that much - did I?! Anyway Mr BKs only has work opportunities in a few places in the world and Australia is one of the better ones - and he's working on an interesting project. I'll be able to get work here too.

We've found lots of positives here in Fremantle so far and, surprisingly (for us anyway) people are SO much more relaxed and friendly than they were in Queensland. People will cycle without helmets on here! Cars are parked on the streets "the wrong way" here and I'm no longer scared of jay-walking (I was given a ticket by a policeman in Brisbane). People in shops and cafes are friendly and polite whereas in Brisbane there was an awful lot of cockiness.

So if we could just get somewhere to live it would be good.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 24th Jan, '12, 13:12

An ADSL2 port is spin. It's just a bog standard telephone port. Your local telephone exchange has ADSL2 provisioning, whether they have spare slots is another question. Whirlpool.net.au will help yo choose an ISP who can provide you with ADSL2.

Get a quite from an electrician to put a phone point in the office. It might be an easy cheap job if thee is a phone port in an adjoining room using the common wall between the rooms.

If that doesn't work then get a good wireless router (asus rt-n56u is getting great reviews) and connect that where you hae a phone port. Make sure your pc/laptop in the spare room has a good compatible wireless client and you're laughing.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.