Flooding

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Flooding

Post by Kooky » 1st Mar, '12, 16:42

(No, for a change it's not about living in a leaky apartment.)

It's pretty bloody wet here. They're expecting a dam West of Sydney to reach capacity this evening, and the result could be very nasty and, due to waterways I don't know or understand, affect areas to way the North and the South too. A friend in the North West has been working from home for two days as they're expecting the bridges round there to go under water.

Another friend is an State Emergency Services volunteer, as well as having a full-time job and young kids, and he's offline so I suspect is not going to get much sleep for a few days.

Today is the first day of Autumn. Check the 28-day forecast on here :shock:

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weath ... 1u47b.html

It's dire. Thank you, La Nina. You can go now, please.

(Back to me me me - engineers need to do further investigations on the roof. Fat bloody chance in this! Guess it will just have to keep leaking.)

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Re: Flooding

Post by sluggo » 2nd Mar, '12, 07:26

Interesting, La Nina is causing severe drought in Central Texas.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 3rd Mar, '12, 05:14

Hosepipe bans are due to start here soon..
We are the TPF

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 3rd Mar, '12, 05:37

Well the Warragamba Dam reached capacity (for the first time in 14 years) about 7pm last night, the gates were opened and some towns along the Hawkesbury and Nepean rivers are either on high alert or already evacuated, with some bridges under water. Lots of caravan parks and weekenders around there too.

Meanwhile the Cotter Dam near Canberra is completely submerged for the first time in its 100-year history (I'm quoting the DT there, I didn't know this).

Sports events and concerts have been cancelled. The Mardi Gras parade is going to be a cool and soggy one!

I believe VIC is also in for a wild ride.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 3rd Mar, '12, 11:09

Fortunately its not looking too bad here, summer has been quite good and sunny, this is the first soggy weekend we have had for ages, but up north in the state things are very wet, for the second year. Amazing that when we came back in '09 we were in the midst of a drought and now everyone is soaking wet. Can't believe the rain that is happening in NSW/Qld.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 7th Mar, '12, 14:40

Seems there's some wild storms on the way for Sydney tonight, better get that indoor umbrella to the ready K !
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 7th Mar, '12, 14:48

We've just had one of them, Daff - I had to run out and move all the cushions off the outdoor sofas, it was blowing in quite a way, which is a rare thing.

Hope Wagga Wagga and the likes don't go under.

edit: and it's bloomin' cold - 18C. Think the doona might be back on tonight.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 8th Mar, '12, 06:18

Crazy weather. We live on a main road on the edge of the city and Neo is reporting it's flooded. (Botany Rd, one of the main roads to and from the airport so lots of coaches and lorries.)

Roof so far holding but suspect it's just taking its time to soak through. GBF in a similar position a couple of miles down the road, but at least we don't have a river running through it like some people do :(

(Daff, ABC reporting floods around Anzac Parade area.)

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 8th Mar, '12, 08:11

Sydney weather has gone to s*** ! Stay safe, stay dry [smilie=kiss.gif]
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 8th Mar, '12, 08:49

Well the ceiling was dry to the touch at 8am but I really should have checked it before 11am. Just had to strip the bed and get out the tarps and tubs :(

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 8th Mar, '12, 08:51

Daff, there are some scary photos on the local news sites! I have friends out in the sticks - north and south west - who are stranded and watching the river or creek rise. At least the stream that apparently runs under our building would have a way to go to lap at my feet.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 8th Mar, '12, 10:03

Crap. Neo and I should have much bigger (any?) muscles, the number of times we dismantle and move our 6ft wide heavy teak bed.

Engineer is coming later to cut a new hole in the ceiling as he says leaving it to pool up there will cause more damage in the long run. I know it makes sense but aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 9th Mar, '12, 08:25

daffodil wrote:Seems there's some wild storms on the way for Sydney tonight, better get that indoor umbrella to the ready K !
Let me just say I had a rather interesting Wednesday night!!!!!!!!! And driving through it with a beep beep barina, seriously (no really I can't say how it happened) lost in South East Sydney, with gutter water pooling up to the middle lane, with dickheads with a death wish deciding to belt around you at 90+km/hr whilst you and the other cars in front at <20km/hrs have windscreen wipers on full and still can't see, then having to find the M5 to get back to North Sydney. Hmmmmmm I feel like I could do anything in that car about now ;) might even have to get a toll card, if I can do that I can drive over the bridge proper....
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 9th Mar, '12, 08:31

Kooky wrote:(No, for a change it's not about living in a leaky apartment.)
Kooky wrote:Well the ceiling was dry to the touch at 8am but I really should have checked it before 11am. Just had to strip the bed and get out the tarps and tubs
Soon turned into being about living in a leaky apartment.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal