Heating up!

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Heating up!

Post by daffodil » 4th Jan, '13, 18:49

Looks like record temperatures for some of you DownUnderites...in Melbourne and Tasmania, the latter experiencing some pretty serious bushfires already.

Stay cool, stay safe.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Heating up!

Post by Kooky » 4th Jan, '13, 19:45

Sydney seems to be escaping, currently a very pleasant mid 20s at 10.45pm.

Was chuffing hot last couple of weeks up near Broome and down near Margaret River, but nothing compared to what Adelaide's going through at the moment (as Fuzz keeps posting on FB, 44C) and Melbourne is pretty uncomfortable too it seems (per BB). I've just seen a 54C recorded in Tas but that was probably due to the fires being close to the weather station.

Not looking good on the bush fires front in a few states :(

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 4th Jan, '13, 20:33

Yep, it's pretty warm down here in Melbourne, no aircon in our place either, just as well it was windy so it moved some air around, still 27C here at 11:30pm, but they do promise a cool change of sorts. I'm not minding it so much but the cats have decided it is too hot...they are never happy. Spent half an hour last night searching everywhere for one of them, never found her, then of course she just appears this morning after I spent the night worrying about her. Typical.

Hope those fires in Tassie are under control, some minor ones going on here but hopefully they won't get worse either.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 5th Jan, '13, 18:09

My facebook news feed very active over the fires, pretty serious. One old friends immediate family holidaying there evaced by boat this afternoon - sounds like might lose properties. She was pretty stressed.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 7th Jan, '13, 04:09

100 people missing in Tas - let's just hope they've got to a safe place or are on holiday elsewhere.

Forecast for Sydney today - max of 27. Tomorrow - 43. Wednesday - 25. How the hell does that work?

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 7th Jan, '13, 18:37

Well it's getting pretty serious here in NSW. WIth the forecast temp for tomorrow as above - 43C in the city, probably higher out in the sticks - we are being advised to work from home. I for one will be doing just that as I can access my files and I need to make a ton of calls anyway. My boss (only other colleague) is with his partner and littlies up at their nature reserve/commune high on a hill so I hope they are far from the fires in the north of the state.

Neo's just had a ring round the local wrinkly rellies south of Sydney - one set in Campbelltown (and a fire officially Out of Control pretty close) and one in Nowra on the edge of a forest. Thankfully all OK, hope it stays that way.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 18th Jan, '13, 15:16

Fucking hot. Reached nearly 46C here in the city this afternoon (and more out west).

Hot + windy = not good. Some serious fires - PP, how is it round your way?

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 18th Jan, '13, 17:45

We had it yesterday, but not as hot as that...it was about 41 in our back garden, but today it cooled right down with a typical cool change, no rain though...and sunny skies again. Hope all you northerners get to cool down soon, that is damn hot!
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 18th Jan, '13, 18:01

I just read that heat from the monorail set off a grass fire in Sydney, yikes! Hope it cools down for y'all soon!

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 18th Jan, '13, 18:10

Train tracks have buckled.

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 18th Jan, '13, 20:00

Whereas parts of the UK, including one of the runways at Heathrow, are closed due to snow!

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 18th Jan, '13, 20:23

Hoohah to the train lines (isn't that their excuse every time we have a hot day? Always is down here) I am more upset it has put a big crack in one of my cabinets from Singapore, not had any problems before but these recent really hot dry days have been nasty. I was sitting watching tv and all of a sudden this big bang from the cabinet next to me. Checked it out and yep, big crack in the back board which is up against the wall that gets the afternoon sun.

Friends are at the Monte Carlo rally, wading through snow...they are freezing we are melting...

There are some nasty fires happening too, not nice.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 19th Jan, '13, 04:40

Most of my Chinese and Indonesian furniture is cracked, including the old stuff. Can see daylight through my dining table.

Some horrible fires. Apologies for this particular link but I don't know the original source of these pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 299&type=1

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 19th Jan, '13, 15:42

Amazingly most of my stuff has made it through all the journeys fairly well, although the dining table is nearly like yours...the joins are now about 50mm wide instead of flush. Better than a friend of mine, hers cracked right down the middle, luckily not whilst they were eating.

The fires are shocking, but fortunately none of them are in heavily populated areas, and we haven't even hit the heights of summer yet.