Where to live in Europe?

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Re: Where to live in Europe?

Post by Beesknees » 28th Sep, '10, 21:21

Oh..Harvey Abnormals...<<shudders>>. Definately Breville..I have the name imprinted on my brain as it was such a hassle to have to return these coolers via the public ferry system!

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 29th Sep, '10, 05:01

We went in Domayne on Sunday, looking for sofas. Now that was a shudder moment.

Bender, do you know that Space have opened up here - they of the ultra-designer furniture in, was it Millenia Walk? Some lovely stuff if modern is your thing; Neo was particularly taken with the life-size black plastic horse with a lampshade on its head.

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 29th Sep, '10, 07:09

Kooky wrote:Bender, do you know that Space have opened up here - they of the ultra-designer furniture in, was it Millenia Walk?
Space first started in Sydney back in the the early-mid 90s. They're in Melbourne, Brisbane and KL too.

I haven't been to the Sydney one for a while, but I've spent money there in the past. The Sydney store is way better than the one in Millenia is - or is that "was"? I thought they were moving to a standalone store.

Problem with a lot of the "designer" stuff in Oz is the size of the market and sole agency/importer arrangements - prices are mostly way OTT. It's often cheaper to buy from overseas and import stuff yourself.
Last edited by Bender on 29th Sep, '10, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 29th Sep, '10, 07:36

I think the price for a life-size plastic horse with a lampshade on it's head is always going to be OTT.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 29th Sep, '10, 09:20

Scrummy Mummy wrote:Just put the bananas in the bag in the fridge so will keep you posted.

I was just thinking yesterday that I should think about a yogurt maker as the new healthy me gets through tons of the stuff.
what a coincidence: Aldi is selling onefor $15. too bad they don't have Aldi in WA...
:mrgreen:

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 29th Sep, '10, 11:12

Bender wrote:
Kooky wrote:Bender, do you know that Space have opened up here - they of the ultra-designer furniture in, was it Millenia Walk?
Space first started in Sydney back in the the early-mid 90s. They're in Melbourne, Brisbane and KL too.

I haven't been to the Sydney one for a while, but I've spent money there in the past. The Sydney store is way better than the one in Millenia is - or is that "was"? I thought they were moving to a standalone store.

Problem with a lot of the "designer" stuff in Oz is the size of the market and sole agency/importer arrangements - prices are mostly way OTT. It's often cheaper to buy from overseas and import stuff yourself.
I did not know that :) I guess I've only recently started paying attention to furniture stores here but I thought it looked very new.

It's incredibly expensive and mostly oversized for our apartment. They have some really funky outdoor furniture though, with prices to match.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 29th Sep, '10, 11:26

Domayne always looks good in magazines (if a bit modern if you had it everywhere, for my taste) but too expensive for my budget.

More like IKEA budget.....

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 29th Sep, '10, 13:44

Scrummy Mummy wrote:More like IKEA budget.....
You're gonna looove Perth! There's a huge range of cheap furniture stores catering to the bogan market!
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 29th Sep, '10, 13:57

I read something on British Expats about how bogans like Target and Kmart too. (BE's very "snobby" in some ways, seems to be lots of British people who think they're a class above Aussies, yet then they reveal they're plumbers etc. Strange.)

So I'm already a bogan and will happily live in my McMansion ;)

(Keep meaning to change my name on BE to Boganwannabe)

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 29th Sep, '10, 15:32

I disagree completely, Scrummy, British expats are more than a single class above an Australian.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal