parking system in the UK

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

parking system in the UK

Post by Satellite » 19th Jun, '13, 23:39

I parked my car and tried to get a coupon from one of the vending machines in teh carpark but all three were out of order! I am thinking that I should write to the rightful authorites here to look into the coupon system that Singapore has. Also for parents with young children, I've often have to leave them locked in the car while I go look for a machine. On another occasion, two machines didn't accept GBP 1 coins even though it stated it would. Imagine all the coins I have to carry about myself!

Mr. Sate is not hopeful that it the authorities would take on the coupon system saying there is too much bureaucracy and they are set in their ways.

What are your thoughts for those of you who are Brits?

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Re: parking system in the UK

Post by Lichtgestalt » 20th Jun, '13, 14:32

Be glad that you get free parking.... Or setup a PFI and operate the parking fee system yourself

Tack
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Tack » 20th Jun, '13, 18:54

I think the problem you'll come up against is there isn't a parking system in the UK. Each council or private car park operator can do it their own way.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 21st Jun, '13, 03:35

That would be tricky then! One of hte reasons I love the Chinese for standardising things.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 23rd Jun, '13, 05:40

I've since learned that they have this "ring and pay" system. I have yet to try it out as I haven't got a mobile. Mr Sate has tried such a system in Abu Dhabi and it works there. So now it seems like I have to write to the LTA in Singapore to implement this system as if it does work I think it is much better than the coupon system!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 24th Jun, '13, 18:54

Satellite wrote:That would be tricky then! One of hte reasons I love the Chinese for standardising things.
I went to Shanghai and there was no standardised parking system. Does it cover all of China? Or every person who claims Chinese ancestors? Or anyone that has taken a cup of team for a China cup?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 24th Jun, '13, 20:17

So did the Irish learn off the Chinese or the Chinese off the Irish ?
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 25th Jun, '13, 05:56

I was thinking more along the lines of how they tried to standardise the use of Mandarin. It was worked somewhat. At least they tried!

I know it is really hard. The Indians tried but failed in most areas.

Anyway, I was thinking about it and I am sure if the British govt managed to change to the use of the metric system, surely they can standardise parking system as well. However I do think the phone and pay system is quite a good one as you don't have to go back to the car if you exceed the hours on your coupon. You can just ring to top up. That said, I haven't personally used the system yet as I havent got a handphone!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 26th Jun, '13, 06:38

Wiki suggests that the success of the use of Madarin only in China is not as much as you think. 292 living languages!

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal