vpn MAC to PC

Moderator: Jedi

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

vpn MAC to PC

Post by chocolate » 21st Sep, '12, 22:51

Hello all

Just catching up on my forumness - this real job lark is actually taking up a lot of my time !!

Question: So I have VPN authorization set up for my work PC and when i'm in work with my trusty MAC and on our 'public' wifi (also did it on our private wifi) can remote access my PC.
When I go home, it tells me that mac's and pc's don't like each other and I have (with help of my IT guy in work) downloaded all the 'things' i need for this to theoretically work.

Given that I can do it in work and not at home and the only difference is the wireless network - is there something that could be a setting on ones wireless network that would stop me doing this?

Thank you in advance
chocolate :)
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: vpn MAC to PC

Post by baloo » 21st Sep, '12, 22:57

Does your home router allow VPN pass through ?
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

chocolate
Going Postal

Post by chocolate » 21st Sep, '12, 23:22

I don't know

how do I find that out?
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 21st Sep, '12, 23:27

Put your ear to the rear of the router, where the antennas are, or should be. Pull out the power supply, and listen. If you hear a rushing noise, like wind or water, then your router has VPN passthrough. If you don't hear anything, put the power back in and listen again. Some routers release the VPN passthrough when they start up, not when they shutdown.

chocolate
Going Postal

Post by chocolate » 21st Sep, '12, 23:48

baloo wrote:Put your ear to the rear of the router, where the antennas are, or should be. Pull out the power supply, and listen. If you hear a rushing noise, like wind or water, then your router has VPN passthrough. If you don't hear anything, put the power back in and listen again. Some routers release the VPN passthrough when they start up, not when they shutdown.
I'd like a second opinion!

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 21st Sep, '12, 23:57

Um, ok.

chocolate
Going Postal

Post by chocolate » 22nd Sep, '12, 00:06

i can't tell if you are taking the piss or not... ?

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 22nd Sep, '12, 04:35

If it's a router issue, you can try plugging in (via ethernet) directly to your cable modem. If it's a network issue, you could try to logon through a different public network (say, at a cafe) than the one you use at work. Networks at coffee houses/bars/whatever should allow use of VPN- I've had no trouble...

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 22nd Sep, '12, 06:37

I'm not going to BEGIN to pretend I know a thing here.But as a work travellor you start to pick up certain words for these situtatuions.

From memory some networks need you to get the administrator to approve your IP address. Another experience tells me not all techies are equal. I had the same guy physically set up and look at my computer VPN twice and tell me it was all ok, things worked fine at work but not external still. Got a 2nd techie on phone, he logged in externally, found some or other download wasn't there, and password not set up right, low and behold now it works.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 22nd Sep, '12, 08:40

I'm very surprised you work firewall will allow your home computer (at home) to go through and remote desktop into your work PC. Seems very lax to me.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

chocolate
Going Postal

Post by chocolate » 24th Sep, '12, 22:36

FB - it goes through a secure harvard website thing first....they seem pretty ok with it and they have tight security
Tas - thanks for the "keywords" have emailed my IT person again

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 24th Sep, '12, 23:11

go to Google, type in the brand of your home router, the model numb er and the words "VPN Passthrough" and that should tell you if you have it and also how to configure it

chocolate
Going Postal

Post by chocolate » 25th Sep, '12, 21:55

OK :) Thanks baloo! Will have a go tonight...
:)
(thing is it probably does coz Mr Chocolate can make his VPN work ....hmmm obviously rate limiting factor is chocolate :)!! ) I'll have a go