What should we have done differently?

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Re: What should we have done differently?

Post by cromasaig » 20th May, '08, 12:12

It's a really crappy thing to happen, I'm so sorry.

Hope the good news is equally good, and that the insurance company tell them where to get off.

PJ
Limp Member
Mood: fine

Post by PJ » 20th May, '08, 18:50

That's strange as the police at Tanglin (?) - cnr Bukit Timah and Farrer - were really good, filled out some forms and took all my details along with a statement. (maybe that was because I walked in almost immediately afterwards in a bit of a state.. thanking my lucky stars my wee man wasn't in car etc.)
I even got a follow up letter- some months later mind you - saying that they had investigated but were not pursuing the matter.

Hope it all work out for you.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 20th May, '08, 19:40

Hmmmm.....Scummy, as you've just got Aussie PR, does this mean you are off there soon? In which case, what do you care?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 20th May, '08, 20:00

Not planning to go for 3 years or so FB, but had to apply last June as they were changing the points system. Thought best to stay here while the kids are small so can take advantage of cheap domestic help and low tax,then go there when they start school.

So if anyone's interested, there should be a Grade 1 slot free at UWC in 2013 if all goes according to plan :D

goingaroundagain

Post by goingaroundagain » 21st May, '08, 02:51

This is a job for the insurance but you might as well get your car fixed if you have to go down that route. Also, insurance companies have a habit of agreeing stuff on your behalf which you would not agree. Write them a letter explaining that the other driver drove off before you could get his details and despute the costs. As for the police, they would have taken a report as he effectively did a hit and run.

The fact that the letter came from lawyers and not his insurance might mean he has no insurance. He could be in the wrong on more than one point.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 21st May, '08, 09:03

Scummy Mummy wrote:Not planning to go for 3 years or so FB, but had to apply last June as they were changing the points system. Thought best to stay here while the kids are small so can take advantage of cheap domestic help and low tax,then go there when they start school.

So if anyone's interested, there should be a Grade 1 slot free at UWC in 2013 if all goes according to plan :D
grade 1 is what age?

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 21st May, '08, 09:26

goingaroundagain wrote:This is a job for the insurance but you might as well get your car fixed if you have to go down that route. Also, insurance companies have a habit of agreeing stuff on your behalf which you would not agree. Write them a letter explaining that the other driver drove off before you could get his details and despute the costs. As for the police, they would have taken a report as he effectively did a hit and run.

The fact that the letter came from lawyers and not his insurance might mean he has no insurance. He could be in the wrong on more than one point.
Good point about getting our car fixed - as you say if we're paying the excess anyway we might as well.

Next time will try and make a police report even if they won't take it (!), although I guess you could say he did a "was hit and run". Does make you think about the no insurance - maybe that's why he ran.

Anyway, called the insurance company, they definitely want to hear the gory details and agreed it sounded suspicious so will leave it in their hands and get on with my life.