Bloody Big Possum on my Roof

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Bloody Big Possum on my Roof

Post by Kooky » 2nd Jun, '08, 14:09

Just how often does a man need to go on his fucking roof? Or rather ours, without either asking or notifying us first?

Does my neighbour listen out for our water tank to kick in? 3 times now, in the space of a month, have I looked up to the skylight from either the toilet or shower to see him walking across. Can a girl not have a sh...ower in peace?

I've been quiet about it as I didn't want to rock the boat due to potential cat issues, but I'm beginning to think he's just a DOG. :twisted:

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Re: Bloody Big Possum on my Roof

Post by Burbage » 2nd Jun, '08, 14:13

Put a few live wires up there.

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 2nd Jun, '08, 14:18

Does he have a legitimate reason to be on your roof without asking you first?

Don't put up with this and don't approach the neighbour directly. Call the Police. Tell them there's a man, who you think may be your neighbour, who keeps getting onto your roof. Tell them that you've seen this man through the skylight when you're in the shower, and that you think he may be some kind of peeper.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 2nd Jun, '08, 14:36

I thought she was in Bali???

I wouldnt say it was your neighbour, just say it is a man. How could you possibly identify your neighbour from below in the shower?

Tee hee hee.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 2nd Jun, '08, 16:02

:shock: I'm assuming it is my neighbour. Hadn't even considered it might not be. Neo's going away tomorrow for 4 days (yeah, nothing changes :lol: ) and I was thinking I was going a bit OTT wanting curtains at the patio doors. Now I'm really thinking they're a good idea.

(Not that they'd stop him looking in my bathroom, but one never knows who is lurking out there at night. And with that thought, I'll put the garden light on.)

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 2nd Jun, '08, 16:07

Yep, call the police the next time it happens. No way should anyone have any business on your roof without at least letting you know first. When the police show up, he'll have to explain himself and one way or another you'll likely have a good idea whether he's just trying to be helpful or if he's a f*cking weirdo.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 2nd Jun, '08, 16:15

Even if he has to adjust something on his roof, and it's easier to use ours to get to it (us having just the one storey) it's bloody rude, isn't it?

Twice, I thought - ok, not very polite. Thrice - and on a very rainy day - it's not only rude but also weird. The guy hasn't spoken one word to us; two households the other side have been very friendly. I've wondered if he was waiting for me to go say hello, but I'm honestly not inclined to now.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 2nd Jun, '08, 16:20

police report, as others say, you don;t actually know it's your neighbour. don't explain theories. and going my my experience as a renter, doesn't matter how nice you want to be/ are you'll be rocking the neighbourhood by standing up for yourself. just be completely polite at all times and don't raise your voice or make accusation.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 2nd Jun, '08, 17:51

yup sorry K, I'd called the police and say, there is some guy wandering around on my roof, I am scared and I don't know who he is. When they arrive say he may be the neighbor and they can go knock on his door and ask him wtf he's doing on your roof. trespassing far as I am concerned.

Neighbor gets stroppy, you are just a concerned neighbor

Tack
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Tack » 2nd Jun, '08, 18:05

If you can force yourself to call the police then I think that is a good course of action. If you can't wait until it happens again (and I would have trouble doing so) I'd knock and ask or put a note through the door of house (it can only be one, right?) asking for notice and reason for going on roof. I think it would be wise to find out asap what is going on and I'd get Neo to do it if poss. You could ask LL whether this is a prior arrangement and if he is willing for his roof to be used this way, he could knock it on the head for you. Actually, I'd do that LL-asking-thing right now.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 2nd Jun, '08, 18:30

nope, wouldn't do any of that. Notes throught the box or under the door lead to strange escalation of antagonism, wouldn't involve the landlord, wouldn't seek explanation. still recommend the witless new neighbour thing and make a police report. police in north sydney are pretty nice actually.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 2nd Jun, '08, 18:48

How are the weapon laws in Australia? US like?

Bender

Post by Bender » 2nd Jun, '08, 18:54

Lichtgestalt wrote:How are the weapon laws in Australia? US like?
Strict.
And don't aim a laser pointer up either.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Tack

Post by Tack » 2nd Jun, '08, 19:43

Are you guys suggesting a police report now? Or only if it happens again? I'd have trouble waiting for it to happen again in case it isn't the neighbour. I'd want to know now whether it is or not because I wouldn't be so worried if it is a prior arrangement or for a valid reason (while still being mad at rudeness). I can't see a way round contacting the neighbour or the LL unless you are either prepared to call the police without him actually being up there or not too bothered until it happens again. Agreeing reasonable roof access terms is not too difficult a proposition I'd've thought but I take Tas' point. My own family's experience suggests police can seriously escalate things (no fault of police themselves). But I guess you'd have to be able to secondguess your own particular nutter to know which approach might work best.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 2nd Jun, '08, 19:52

I had thought of asking the LL if he had okayed this - it doesn't make it right but it is a way of starting a conversation about it as the LL said the guy has been here "forever" and is a good sort.

Maybe I'll do that. Thanks, all, for reassuring me I'm not being unreasonable. There is also a skylight in the study, which I'll be using quite a bit once it's all unpacked and assembled later this week. I don't think I should have to worry all the time about who might be watching me, and I should be able to stand nekkid in my own bathroom if I want to. Today I hid behind the laundry door whilst I towelled off.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 2nd Jun, '08, 20:00

Roof problems in Sydney too? Bit of a theme happening, huh? ;)
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 2nd Jun, '08, 20:26

ridiculous. no one is allowed on your roof without you agreeing to it. what was said earlier: first LL to check for arrangement, next step police.

Zephyr
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 2nd Jun, '08, 20:44

Ditto that. This is simply unacceptable. Being the jumpy sort , I would've let out a blood curdling scream if I had spotted a man on top of my roof. Poor Kooky.
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~