Is being drunk really an acceptable defense?

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Is being drunk really an acceptable defense?

Post by canuck » 4th Sep, '08, 15:20

Ohio mom spared death penalty for microwaving baby
By James Hannah, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

DAYTON, Ohio - An Ohio jury has spared the life of a woman who killed her infant daughter by microwaving her.

The jury told the judge Wednesday that it couldn't agree on whether to recommend the death penalty or life in prison for 28-year-old China Arnold. Arnold now could spend between 25 years and the rest of her life in prison, depending on what Montgomery County Judge Mary Wiseman decides.

The defence had argued that Arnold was drunk when the crime occurred and that she had no motive. Prosecutors called the crime "heinous."

Arnold was convicted Friday of aggravated murder for killing daughter Paris Talley in 2005.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Is being drunk really an acceptable defense?

Post by Fat Bob » 4th Sep, '08, 15:25

In this case, it's not a defense, it's a mitigating circumstance, and has only changed the punishment. Would the woman have microwaved her baby if she was sober? Probably not.

However, it should not allow someone to escape from justice altogether. Your actions when drunk should be treated as if you were sober. So the full weight of the law should be thrown against you if you do a crime when drunk that you wouldn't have done when sober.

As for the baby: personally I prefer them glazed and roasted, but as she was pissed she probably could be arsed to do that.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 4th Sep, '08, 15:41

I think I need to request in future any post that has anything to do with descriptions of awful things happening to children/babies etc, there should be some sort of warning that says "Lili don't read this or you will be reduced to a puddle of tears." :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I feel so sad now. :cry:
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 4th Sep, '08, 15:53

To be fair, I often get the munchies when I've had a few and on more than one occasion have said: "I could eat a microwaved baby".

BFG
I post here professionally
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 4th Sep, '08, 16:26

Fresh Mint wrote:To be fair, I often get the munchies when I've had a few and on more than one occasion have said: "I could eat a microwaved baby".

A whole one? :shock:
Life's too short...

azzam
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 4th Sep, '08, 16:27

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:I think I need to request in future any post that has anything to do with descriptions of awful things happening to children/babies etc, there should be some sort of warning that says "Lili don't read this or you will be reduced to a puddle of tears." :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I feel so sad now. :cry:
Have to agree there. We do love the hideous news, don't we?
I don't usually read them. But couldn't miss this one as it was in the first sentence.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 4th Sep, '08, 16:36

I suspect that this women had more problems then just being drunk. How could a person in their right mind, drunk or sober, do such a thing?
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 4th Sep, '08, 21:25

BFG wrote:
Fresh Mint wrote:To be fair, I often get the munchies when I've had a few and on more than one occasion have said: "I could eat a microwaved baby".

A whole one? :shock:

They do shrink in the cooking process... ;)
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Zephyr
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 4th Sep, '08, 21:35

sluggo wrote:I suspect that this women had more problems then just being drunk. How could a person in their right mind, drunk or sober, do such a thing?
Ditto. No way can I accept that no matter how drunk a person is, that he/she is unconscious of the fact that a baby is being microwaved!

What kind of a world do we live in ? :(
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 4th Sep, '08, 22:39

She must have got a shock when she woke up and found a cold kebab in the cot.

(OK, I nicked that from somewhere else)

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 5th Sep, '08, 00:19

I so agree with Fat Blob. I dont want to be quoted on this...
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 5th Sep, '08, 09:01

It would be possible to drop, lose or accidentally damage a baby if you were in sole charge while intoxicated but for the life of me I can’t work out how you could cook one.
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 5th Sep, '08, 09:07

Or why.

What are maids for?

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 5th Sep, '08, 15:34

Scummy Mummy wrote:Or why.

What are maids for?
Too, too [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Thank you!
Life's too short...