Bloody Mozzies

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Rosbif71
Too Much Time on my Hands

Bloody Mozzies

Post by Rosbif71 » 25th Nov, '08, 14:21

went for a short stroll around the garden of my Condo yesterday abt 6pm. must have been bitten 20-25 times on my legs.
My Mrs wasn't bitten once :(

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: Bloody Mozzies

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 25th Nov, '08, 14:31

At the playground the other evening I was eaten alive, despite using repellent. Granted, it was an all-natural lotion I use for my toddler, so it's not very strong. Luckily he wasn't bit, I get very worried about dengue - Saturday morning I was bit by a mosquito with striped legs and hightailed it off the playground. I think when we get intermittent rain like this, it creates perfect conditions for breeding.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 25th Nov, '08, 14:37

You really, really don't want dengue. Get some Rid on you.

Rosbif71

Post by Rosbif71 » 25th Nov, '08, 14:46

yeh think I'd better start plastering my legs with stuff.
I'm normally a mozzie magnet but since I moved here they've left me alone. until last night.

Rosbif71

Post by Rosbif71 » 25th Nov, '08, 14:54

Oh yeh and I already had a cold/flu/manflu before I was bitten. so I hope the little buggers got it from me when they bit me!

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 25th Nov, '08, 15:11

Found this on the 'net:

Don’t Be Attractive…

...at least to the mosquito. Mosquitoes see movement more than an actual object and they see sharp contrasts of dark and light colors. Choose clothing that blends in with the environment. If you are 30 feet away from a mosquito dressed in a green outfit sitting next to a bush the mosquito wouldn’t know the difference between you and the bush — at least not until he is within 10 feet of you.

Mosquitoes are attracted by the smell of carbon dioxide and lactic acid, both of which are given off by us when we exhale especially when we are active. Mosquitoes follow our body scent upwind against breezes up to 6 miles an hour.
When a mosquito is within 10 feet of you it can feel body heat. The mosquito’s heat sensor is more accurate when the humidity is high.

So, there you are - wear green, stand next to a bush and hold your breath - simple.

Rosbif71

Post by Rosbif71 » 25th Nov, '08, 15:23

thanks. will remember that [smilie=23_3.gif]

Lady Uppercrust
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Perfect, yet quirky

Post by Lady Uppercrust » 25th Nov, '08, 15:48

phuketkaren wrote:Found this on the 'net:

Mosquitoes follow our body scent upwind against breezes up to 6 miles an hour.
When a mosquito is within 10 feet of you it can feel body heat. The mosquito’s heat sensor is more accurate when the humidity is high.

So, there you are - wear green, stand next to a bush and hold your breath - simple.

GAAAAAAAHHHHH we're all doomed !! ;) :D :D

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 25th Nov, '08, 15:49

Exactly Mrs H! Who want to wear green??? Most unfashionable.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 25th Nov, '08, 15:56

phuketkaren wrote:If you are 30 feet away from a mosquito dressed in a green outfit ...
No, no. Don't worry. It's the mosquito who must wear green.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 25th Nov, '08, 16:04

Rosbif71 wrote:went for a short stroll around the garden of my Condo yesterday abt 6pm. must have been bitten 20-25 times on my legs.
My Mrs wasn't bitten once :(
That's wierd - it's the other way round for Mrs BFG and me. I am mozzie free, whilst Mrs BFG is viewed as the mozzie equivalent of the Fullerton buffet...

That reminds me, buffets are always fun at Chrimble - only 30 wake-ups to go... [4980.gif] [4600.gif] [4980.gif]
Life's too short...

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 25th Nov, '08, 20:06

Lili Von Shtupp wrote: Saturday morning I was bit by a mosquito with striped legs and hightailed it off the playground.
Aedes Albopictus, the Asian Tiger mosquito. it's the local Dengue vector. active mostly around dawn and dusk, but also during the day with muggy overcast weather, bites low on the legs.

Rid, lots of it.

Rosbif71

Post by Rosbif71 » 26th Nov, '08, 10:22

will be nipping to the shops to buy some myself today. am off work with manflu anyway (had it before being bitten)

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 26th Nov, '08, 16:50

Mrs BFG tells me it's because I smell of booze.

I simply use the fact that beer is cheaper per 100mls than Off to allow me to drink to my heart's comtent.

The Art of Ninja Arguing - it works...

PS - 29 days and counting!!!!

[xmascheers] [xmascheers] [xmascheers]
Life's too short...

Rosbif71

Post by Rosbif71 » 26th Nov, '08, 17:06

a can of 25pct Deet stuff is now stationed by the door.
bloody bites are still damn itchy! 11 bites on 1 leg and 8 on the other from 20 minute stroll in the condo grounds. :o

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 26th Nov, '08, 17:08

Do they fog at your condo, Rosbif? If not, it sure sounds like they should! Or if they do, maybe they need to do it more frequently.

Rosbif71

Post by Rosbif71 » 26th Nov, '08, 18:36

slinky wrote:Do they fog at your condo, Rosbif? If not, it sure sounds like they should! Or if they do, maybe they need to do it more frequently.
think next one is scheduled for next week

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 26th Nov, '08, 20:04

Once you've been bitten apply Mopiko ointment. Brilliant stuff. Stops the itching immediately and the bite's almost disappeared within 24 hours.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Raffles
Mood: ?

Post by Raffles » 26th Nov, '08, 20:11

I am not entirely sure but I read somewhere if you are vegetarian you less likely to get bitten seems to be true. The strange thing I notice is I have never been bitten by a mozzie in Singapore (I'm not vegetarian by the way) or for that Matter Hong Kong. In Thailand and Malaysia the mozzies think I am most delicious thing since sliced bread, what's going on here? Could it be just the districts I visited?

Rosbif71

Post by Rosbif71 » 28th Nov, '08, 09:54

well the bites have finally stopped itching! never had such itchy bites before

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 28th Nov, '08, 09:56

Sure they were not midges? Mozzie bites should die down within a couple of days but i know midges can last for ages.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 28th Nov, '08, 10:27

Burnol is brilliant for getting rid of the itch and swelling too. in fact, helps better than Mopiko.

Rosbif71

Post by Rosbif71 » 28th Nov, '08, 11:24

Aliya wrote:Sure they were not midges? Mozzie bites should die down within a couple of days but i know midges can last for ages.
don't know. all I know is that I was bitten a lot in a short space of time.

most of the bites were low on the legs which suggests mozzies

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 28th Nov, '08, 11:58

Raffles wrote:I am not entirely sure but I read somewhere if you are vegetarian you less likely to get bitten seems to be true. The strange thing I notice is I have never been bitten by a mozzie in Singapore (I'm not vegetarian by the way) or for that Matter Hong Kong. In Thailand and Malaysia the mozzies think I am most delicious thing since sliced bread, what's going on here? Could it be just the districts I visited?
I've had same experience - they hardly touch me in Singapore but in Thailand the little bastards just love me. I've put it down to body heat - as in Singapore I spent most of the time working my socks off in air-conditioned luxury. Whereas in Thailand I'm outside much of the time and presumably have a higher body heat? Not sure I can think of anything else to explain it.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 28th Nov, '08, 14:21

I was once told that if you spray on a mixture of detol and water (1/3) they won't come near you. Much better than any products on the market
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.