This Drives Me Insane

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

This Drives Me Insane

Post by skank-la » 4th Dec, '08, 03:21

Zimbabwe-Mugabe. The world sits on its hands whilst this asshole still controls this place

I do love the LA Times. They are one of the few papers left w/actual correspondents onsite rather than newswire stories onyl.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld ... 4540.story
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Re: This Drives Me Insane

Post by Burbage » 4th Dec, '08, 06:00

No oil.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 4th Dec, '08, 09:12

what would you want us to do in Zimbo? What about Sudan/Darfur? What about Somalia? What about Burma/Myanmar?

It is maddening, but it's also life. The people need to lead things, not us. The people that tried to lead things previously got told off and then a bloody nose.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Rosbif71
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Rosbif71 » 4th Dec, '08, 10:02

blame the neighbouring countries, in particular South Africa. they've been propping up his regime for years.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 4th Dec, '08, 10:15

I read an article recently stating that Mugabe Forbid Food Growing In Backyards. Seems the people are not even allowed to help themselves. Africa has only gone down hill since de-colonization. Domed if you do and domed if you don’t.
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 4th Dec, '08, 10:22

Possum wrote:I read an article recently stating that Mugabe Forbid Food Growing In Backyards. Seems the people are not even allowed to help themselves. Africa has only gone down hill since de-colonization. Domed if you do and domed if you don’t.
The biggest problem is that when Africa de-colonised, as you put it, they left the colonial borders in place. Those borders are in completely the wrong places demographically for the native african population.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 4th Dec, '08, 12:42

That is a convenient excuse. Lines on a map have always existed and there has always been movement. History is history and the present is the present. We are not here long and the chief aim for the majority of us is to life a long, happy and healthy life. Boarders are no longer a separation from the barbarians but a line on the map that offers those inside a particular package of rights, restrictions and economic opportunities. It seems that they are all too busy fighting over history instead of improving the future.
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 4th Dec, '08, 12:46

They haven't always existed but there were agreed boundries. When you divide a tribe you not only take away what they have always believed to be their land, but in many cases you make them a minority in the new lands. Look at the Kurds for example. There is a pretty clearly marked land that belonged to the Kurds, but the new maps of today have their land split into 3 parts, each a minority in three larger countries.

End result, they are treated as minorities with little rights and they have lost all power to govern themselves.

Oh, and I reckon there is a few tibetans who would gladly debate you on your views.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 4th Dec, '08, 12:48

It may be convenient, but it is also true. If the lines had been redrawn to tribal boundaries at decolonisation then I think Africa would be a much happier place. Or at least, eac individual small country would have been. Then there would have been proper wars instead of civil wars and the whole place might be sorted out by now. It is not the only problem of course. If you want to list the problems that the continent of Africa and its people face you'll be writing constantly for a week.

By the way, what is doming? I'll try anything once.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 4th Dec, '08, 14:03

But you said the biggest problem was the boundary lines. If you've got to write for a week about all the other problems, are you getting down to nitty gritty or just the absurd?

Humans are humans. In general, there will always be those who want some sort of power over others. That maybe as a manger, as a leader, or as a dictator. That maybe at a local level, workplace level or countrywide level.

that Europe went through this up until quite recently (and hey, in some smaller areas are still going through this) what gives us the right to start pointing fingers at certain African nations?

And sod it, the world needs depopulating anyhow.

Can we talk about the American presidency now?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 4th Dec, '08, 14:15

Lot of problems. Boundaries the biggest.

Here are a lot of numbers:

1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 3

Three is the biggest.

Had there been only two problems I would have said that boundaries were the bigger problem.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 4th Dec, '08, 14:49

ah, so theres 16 problems a third of the size of the biggest one, and 8 that are two thirds the size of the biggest problem. Hmmmm....a lot of problems. So why do we bother? To show we're human? Don't humans kills each other? Surely THAT would be showing us we're human!

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 4th Dec, '08, 15:41

Who is this "we" you're talking about?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 5th Dec, '08, 08:04

The Royal "we".

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 5th Dec, '08, 08:15

So you're taking full personal responsibility. Excellent, we can blame you if it's still a shambles in ten years.

That's a weight off my mind.

Lady Uppercrust
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Perfect, yet quirky

Post by Lady Uppercrust » 5th Dec, '08, 09:29

Saying it's about boundaries Burb, is awfully simplistic, and to be honest I don't think it comes anywhere near the top ten of Africa's problems.

But what do I know. I only lived there for three years. :?

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 5th Dec, '08, 10:06

Tell Fat Bob, he's in charge.

Lady Uppercrust
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Lady Uppercrust » 5th Dec, '08, 10:18

You can't argue with a sick mind. ;)

Burbage
Part of the furniture

Post by Burbage » 5th Dec, '08, 10:32

That's a very harsh thing to say about Fat Bob. His mum loves him.

BFG
I post here professionally
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 5th Dec, '08, 12:13

Lady Uppercrust wrote:You can't argue with a sick mind. ;)
Of course you can. You argue all the time.

PS - C minus 20 WUs and counting...

[4624.gif]
Life's too short...

Lady Uppercrust
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Lady Uppercrust » 5th Dec, '08, 15:37

BFG wrote:
Lady Uppercrust wrote:You can't argue with a sick mind. ;)
Of course you can. You argue all the time.

[4624.gif]

You think so huh ? :shock:

Well now, if you said " BFG is a knuckle-headed, lame-brained, nincompoop"
I wouldn't argue with that. [smilie=tease.gif] [smilie=tease.gif]

BFG
I post here professionally
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 5th Dec, '08, 22:20

Well, you can't really argue with a statement of fact now can you, Poppette?

20 days to go - hooraaaaaaaahhhhh!!!

[xmascheers]
Life's too short...

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 8th Dec, '08, 12:37

actually i am quite curious as to what could legitimately be done in Zimabwe by the international community. it is a country that wanted to be independent, wanted to lead themselves, well they got it, now they'll dealing with the despotic leader that got them there (can't get a more perfect example of power corrupts and absolute power corrupting absolutely). so what does an international community do now? i presume anything from the 'western/white' world will be seen as another attempt to colonise (please those who know correct that assumption). any money given simply CANNOT be given to the government, that is just a case of more good cash after bad as it's diverted off to a despots coffers.

so what are the actions that an international community can do? i generally agree with Bob's earlier comments, doesn't it eventually have to come from an overwhelming majority of the populace there?

one thing I seriously don't understand from an international view point is how anyone could remotely treat Mugabe as a legitimate leader after their last election, he should be rejected from every single international engagement he shows up to. surely as a minimum of protest.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg