High Maintenance People

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Bender
I post here professionally

High Maintenance People

Post by Bender » 13th Mar, '09, 20:27

[rant]

Sometimes it just gets too damn hard.

"Oh, you know all about computers. I'm hopeless (and unwilling to learn). Fix mine for me, so I can download more viruses."
"I want to buy a (insert tech item name). Which one is best for me? The budget is $2.50, and it has to be as good as the one you got."
"I'm too lazy to check this for myself. Am I entitled to (name of whatever it is) from the Government?"
"My lawnmower's broken (because I've used it to mow rocks). Can you fix it? Can I borrow yours?"
"Your brand new car has a towbar and mine doesn't (because it would have cost me extra). Can I borrow your car to tow a trailerload of furniture interstate? No? Why not?"
"I've bought a new oven but don't want to pay an electrician to install it. Install it for me please. By the way, it doesn't fit in the space the old one came out of."

Gawd, I'm sick of it.

[/rant]
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Tack
Too Much Time on my Hands

Re: High Maintenance People

Post by Tack » 13th Mar, '09, 21:03

I sympathise totally. It seems to me that this is an increasing problem. Instead of folk just getting on and/or putting up with stuff there is sense of them thinking they deserve others putting themselves out. The "I don't do/I'm hopeless at..." reasoning drives me batty. Even supposed fun stuff like having dinner for a group or organising a get together is plagued by selfish requests. Grrr

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 13th Mar, '09, 21:05

it's part of the Entitlement Culture...

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Mar, '09, 21:08

I thought it was just being a chick......
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 13th Mar, '09, 21:52

Fat Bob wrote:I thought it was just being a chick......
Doh!
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 14th Mar, '09, 05:54

Well one of those is easy to get out of. Tell them that it's illegal for anybody other than an Oz-certified electrician to do more than change a lightbulb and, if you do it and their house burns down, they won't be insured. :)

The IT stuff, I can totally understand. Neo spends 2 days of our 9-10 day annual UK trip cleaning up computers in two locations.

Bender, I think you have to look on it all as a compliment. You are obviously competent and knowledgeable, and your friends know that.

(Ok maybe a soft touch, too.)

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 14th Mar, '09, 13:34

I think it depends if they are willing to put themselves out in return. Relationships need to be give and take. People who take take and are unwilling to give annoy the hell out of me. You are obviously good at a lot of things so don’t appear to need help yourself. Ask them to do something for you and see where the cards fall.
Baloo, Neo, FB and HoD have all been to mine on computer rescue missions :) I cook a meal, keep their glass topped up and provide kids to entertain them. I will never forget the look on FB’s face (still makes me laugh out loud) this one time when we were all seated around the table for a roast dinner and little pos turned to him and said he could be the dad. He almost choked on his chicken leg :)
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 14th Mar, '09, 13:47

Just one word of advice though, Bender - if anybody asks you to move house for them, leave the country. ;)

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 14th Mar, '09, 16:57

Possum wrote: FB been to mine on computer rescue missions :) I cook a meal, keep their glass topped up and provide kids to entertain them. I)
Really! No need for steak and BJ?

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 14th Mar, '09, 17:02

hmm.. I think it is the kids who are being entertained
We are the TPF