Why??!

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Why??!

Post by slinky » 11th Jun, '10, 11:01

Why do you have to have a pharmacist hand you ibuprofen here?? It's not even like ibuprofen is some kind of dangerously addictive drug or anything - why the hell can't you buy it over the counter here like you can in probably every other country in the world? What are we being 'protected' from by needing to have a pharmacist hand it to us? And, if they're going to insist on a pharmacist distributing it, why the hell can't pharmacies actually have a pharmacist on duty during all the hours the store is actually open?? I was in 2 pharmacies this morning around 9:45am. In the first one I was told the pharmacist would be in 'around 10:00' (Of course, when I went back at 10:15 it became, 'Oh, more like 10:30 or 11:00 [smilie=rollingpin.gif] ) The second one said not until 11:15. WTF?? Are they so short on pharmacists here that there simply aren't enough to staff all the pharmacies or what? I'd hate to think how many stores I would have had to go to today if I was in desperate need of something prescribed :roll:

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Why??!

Post by baloo » 11th Jun, '10, 11:12

What do you need the Ibuprofen for ?
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 11th Jun, '10, 11:19

in several short weeks, you will be in America and can go to CVS (or similar) and stock on 100's of ibuprofen :D!

Did you get any word on the U2 concert being rescheduled? I've heard nothing since the cancellation :(
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 11th Jun, '10, 11:36

baloo wrote:What do you need the Ibuprofen for ?
This is the second day I've had a stubborn headache. Panadol eases it a bit, but doesn't get rid of it. Thought I'd try ibuprofen. But I couldn't take waiting around for said pharmacists to appear, so I came home & took Mr. S's Aleve (naproxen sodium) - we'll see if that works.

Choc - the only thing I saw or heard regarding U2 rescheduling was something like 'maybe next summer.' Unfortunately, there's no guarantee we can be in Chicago when they reschedule -- with my own school schedule starting up next summer is going to be a bit limited for us and when we can travel to the US. Hope it works out.

And, yes, I'll be sure to get a few hundred ibuprofen tables while I'm in the US in July!

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 11th Jun, '10, 11:38

It's threads like these that make me happy that I stole my father's stash of Panedine Forte last time I was there. Best instant pain relief in a tablet.

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 11th Jun, '10, 11:39

Yep, I bought loads of Nurofen when home last too.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 11th Jun, '10, 11:40

Oooooo, panadeine....mmmmm
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 11th Jun, '10, 11:41

Didn't Fat Bob say you can get panadeine here? (Of course, you'd have to get a pharmacist to give it to you [canuck] )

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 11th Jun, '10, 11:44

I was able to get it from a pharmacist without a prescription a while back, but was required to provide my IC for it, guess they're trying to keep track of possible abuse.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 11th Jun, '10, 11:46

slinky wrote:Didn't Fat Bob say you can get panadeine here? (Of course, you'd have to get a pharmacist to give it to you [canuck] )
I'm not sure you can get Panadeine Forte without a prescription. You definitely can't in Australia

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 11th Jun, '10, 11:49

So, what's the difference between panadeine and panadeine forte?

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 11th Jun, '10, 11:51

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 11th Jun, '10, 12:02

Holy crap, that's Tylenol 3. I don't think I'm ready for that...

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 11th Jun, '10, 12:45

I used to take co-codamol (prescription) for bad migraines. Long before I lived on ibuprofen for my endometriosis, it was probably the start of my liver problems.

Just say No, kids.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 11th Jun, '10, 13:12

Co-codamol/panadiene/panadine forte are the same drugs in different ammounts. Commonly, panadiene, as available at the Singapore pharmacist couter, is available as 500mg paracetamol and 8mg of codiene.

Some supplier increase the strength of the codiene (but not paracetamol) in varying amounts up to 30mg.

If you think panadiene (500mg+8mg) is good, go for Nurofen Plus with 12.8mg of codiene and 200mg of ibuprofen. That'll solve your headache and get you jailed in Dubai.

Or, just go for codiene: www.e-med.co.uk will sell you that (for a price) or find someone that has had stomach surgery and nick it off them.
Last edited by Fat Bob on 11th Jun, '10, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 11th Jun, '10, 13:15

Fat Bob wrote:Or, just go for codiene: http://www.e-med.co.uk will sell you that (for a price) or find someone that has had stomach surgery and nick it off them.
[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 11th Jun, '10, 13:18

prefer aspirin myself,, and laughed when I went to the UK with my bottle of 100 little pills and at customs they freaked out and asked me where I would get so many aspirins, because in the UK you can only have 16 at a time in case you want to top yourself with it.

So when you think Singers is bad, there is worse really..

If you need pain meds call me, N had hip problems we can knock a horse out....

:D

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 11th Jun, '10, 13:41

What's so hard about going to the pharmacy? Baloo's recommendation, panadeine forte needs a prescription here. You can't get anything stronger than paracetamol with a bit of codeine without one.

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 11th Jun, '10, 14:23

Erm, I used to get Panadeine Forte OTC no prescription from my local pharmacy on Blues Point Road, no problem. They just used to look hard at you and ask you if you normally take it, tell you not to take too many and only sell you one pack at a time. Hmmm. will need to stock up on my upcoming trip back...

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 11th Jun, '10, 14:27

When I first came here, you couldn't get Ibuprofen even from a pharmacy. progress has been made
We are the TPF

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 11th Jun, '10, 14:43

BoD wrote:When I first came here, you couldn't get Ibuprofen even from a pharmacy. progress has been made
That's true -- I don't think you could get it at a pharmacy in 2004 when I got here.

Burb, there's nothing terribly hard about going to a pharmacy -- hell, I stopped in at 2 this morning. The problem comes in because they don't staff the Rx counter with a pharmacist the whole time the store is open. The Rx counters are staffed apparently at the whim of the pharmacist from what I could tell this morning :roll:

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 11th Jun, '10, 14:50

canuck wrote:prefer aspirin myself,, and laughed when I went to the UK with my bottle of 100 little pills and at customs they freaked out and asked me where I would get so many aspirins, because in the UK you can only have 16 at a time in case you want to top yourself with it.
Aspirin we've got tons of around here - all low dose pills though. Mr. S takes 1 or 2 of them every day. OK, that's next. The Aleve has done a bit better than the Panadol, but it's still lingering. If it's still hanging on tonight, I'll look into how many milligrams of aspirin I should take.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 11th Jun, '10, 14:55

Funny, I haven't used aspirin for pain relief in eons. I do keep it in the house as part of our first aid kit, though - in the event of a heart attack you're supposed to suck on aspirin tablets, my guess is for blood thinning effects.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 11th Jun, '10, 15:05

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:Funny, I haven't used aspirin for pain relief in eons. I do keep it in the house as part of our first aid kit, though - in the event of a heart attack you're supposed to suck on aspirin tablets, my guess is for blood thinning effects.
Yep, it's a blood thinner.

Tack
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Tack » 11th Jun, '10, 19:56

Can't get co-codamol in UK without prescription any more, luckily I have a good stock of some high codeine ones. 16 aspirin, paracetamol or ibuprofen are available in any corner shop, garage shop etc. If you want a bigger supply you need to go to a pharmacy but that's no problem.