I am ranting - maniac taxi driver

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

I am ranting - maniac taxi driver

Post by Beesknees » 12th Aug, '10, 18:02

Mr B and I just took a taxi from beside Changi back home. The driver was a maniac wrt speeding and we did ask him nicely a couple of times to slow down. He ignored us (and speeding cameras)
We were nearly wiped out as he continued his maniac driving and a lorry pulled out infront of him. At that point there was blue air from the back seat and Mr B (who is very calm) (not like me) asked him to drive carefully. The driver at this time turned round, took his hands off the wheel and told us not to scare him (this was as he was driving along Telok Blangah Road).
Now we are home safely I intended to report him to the taxi company but Mr B doesn't want me to as he's worried about repeucussions (he knows where we live). What would you do?

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: I am ranting - maniac taxi driver

Post by baloo » 12th Aug, '10, 18:07

While driving, tell him to slow down as you are concerned about your safety and if he doesn't you will send an official complaint into the company.

I find the threat of a complaint works well with taxi drivers. Another trick I have learnt is if a taxi refuses to pick you up, rip out your phone and pretend to take a photo of the taxi licence plate. Quite often they change their mind about picking you up.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 12th Aug, '10, 19:08

'Blue air'? What does that mean?

Baloo - good tip on the phone to take a photo! I'll have to remember that one.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 12th Aug, '10, 20:46

Surely he doesn't know exactly where you live.
We are the TPF

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 12th Aug, '10, 21:40

BoD wrote:Surely he doesn't know exactly where you live.

Mmm so there is a possibility of reprecussions then.... He doesn't know exactly where we live but there are only 20 flats in our building. I don't like the thought of being scared to report horrific and dangerous driving but Mr B seems to think we never know what revenge might be taken here :shock:

Slinky - blue air is a euphanism. What it really means is I was whimpering "oh feck feck feck feck" as we almost drove into the back of a lorry at 90 kls an hour

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 12th Aug, '10, 21:54

BK, Baloo's recommendation is a good one. This probably won't be the only time you get a "hairy" ride from a taxi driver in Singapore, but it does help to slow them down when needed.

We had one very memorable trip from Clarke Quay back home where the driver hit 130kmh (I never thought those Toyota Crowns could go that fast) down Holland Road going over the Farrer Road/Queensway flyover. He did slow down after that, but only because the traffic lights at Holland Village were red. I have also witnessed a taxi driver asleep at the wheel going down the AYE in the middle lane, fortunately we were not in the car...it was scary enough being on the road behind/beside him, I reported that one but never heard any more about it.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 12th Aug, '10, 21:57

Beesknees wrote:
BoD wrote:Surely he doesn't know exactly where you live.

Mmm so there is a possibility of reprecussions then....
No,not at all. Do you really think he could be bothered? In any case if he drove like that with you, he doubtless does it with everybody else, so even less chance that he will track you down
We are the TPF

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 13th Aug, '10, 07:08

repercussions? in Singapore? only for the driver.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 13th Aug, '10, 10:16

We've reported several terrible taxi drivers, never had any come-back. Do it. The next time he could kill somebody.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 13th Aug, '10, 10:41

LTA has a line to report driver problems (1 min on google and I'm sure you could find it, I don't have it with me now). I've used it three times and had good follow up from them each time. The key is not to call the company, call LTA.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 13th Aug, '10, 21:57

Do both.

The LTA is a good idea, never did that but have reported a few drivers over the years to their companies, either for poor driving or reportably-poor manners.

When I get the receipt I have on a couple of occasions mentioned that I would be reporting them.

And the fake camera thingy, did that too when one parked cabbie littered on our grounds - he nearly ran me over trying to get away!
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx