D H HELL

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

D H HELL

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 10th Feb, '11, 09:24

My kindle broke. I bought initially from Amazon in the UK so they'd only send a replacement to a UK address. So my sister sent it across to me via DHL Express (ha, bloody ha).

It was taking ages but I wasn't sure when she'd sent it so I got the air way bill number and went online to check (on 7/2). It had arrived at Perth airport on 31/1 and it said "delivery arranged, no details expected."

I called up the next day (God forbid they should have a 24/7 service) and was told "DHL subcontract some deliveries to third parties. We gave that to Courier Australia who we don't use any more because they're so unreliable."

WTF?

They said they'd chase it and call me back by 4pm. They didn't so I called, to be told they had no-one with the name of the person I'd spoken to. As I was on hold, a guy from Courier Australia arrived with the parcel.

So then I have to return the defective Kindle. Amazon said to use DHL and they'd reimburse me.

So I called to book. They said they'd send a jumbo junior box to put it in, and someone would call between 8.30 and 12 yesterday. 12 came and went. I called at 1.30 to be told they had me booked for 9-4pm.

2 minutes to 4 and there's a knock on the door. It's a guy from Toll IPEC. He doesn't know it's a DHL parcel he's collecting, doesn't have a jumbo junior box, can't input DHL details into his system. So I call DHL, he speaks to them himself, and then decides that he's going to reject my parcel because the documentation from his perspective is inadequate!

So, they're supposed to be coming this morning before 12. Apparently they misinformed me when I booked and they can't supply box. We'll see if they turn up.

Express my arse.

I'm glad we nicked their table now ;)

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Re: D H HELL

Post by slinky » 10th Feb, '11, 10:41

We once had a bike shipped in a box via UPS (not here, within the US) and the box showed up all mangled - it actually kind of looked like it had been dropped out of the plane for delivery :o Bike was missing a pedal and I think a wheel was bent, etc. UPS paid us for the cost of a new bike after they sent a rep out to photograph the box & bike.

At this point, can you just buy a Kindle there and return the damaged one to the UK and be done with it?

Edit: Hmm, maybe it was FedEx......not sure now.
Last edited by slinky on 10th Feb, '11, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 10th Feb, '11, 11:12

You can't buy them here (well I think you can order from Amazon in the US but the original was from the UK so had to swap with them).

Got the new Kindle, just trying to return the old so they don't charge for replacement!

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 10th Feb, '11, 15:21

So how did it go? That's a big box for a little Kindle...

DHL did some stuff for us when we moved, the boxes all looked decidedly secondhand by the time they got here...but they arrived quickly and intact.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 16th Feb, '11, 10:26

Forgot to update.

No, they didn't turn up! The message on my phone said they'd be here by 12 so at 12.30 (allowing time for road delays) called the guy who'd left the message. Out at lunch but they'll leave a message for him to call me back.

He did, very apologetic. Turns out after he called me there'd been a communication breakdown and the call had been booked for the following"(Friday) morning. He offered to get someone (from the third party agent, Toll) to call round that afternoon or said that he could get a member of the DHL staff who lived close to drop in one her way home from work. Either way it'd get to the airport Friday morning. Oh, and they couldn't supply Jumbo junior box and they'd quoted the wrong (too low) price but would honour it anyway.

I said to send the DHL woman round that evening as I was going out in the afternoon. Then he said "Let's just double check everything to make sure there are no more problems. What are you sending?" "Amazon Kindle." "Ah, does it have a lithion ion battery." "Yes". "Erm, I'm really sorry but we're not allowed to transport them." "But I told them it was that when I booked it AND DHL delivered it in the first place (and has the Amazon contract.)"

Apparently they can deliver for Amazon but no-one else (WTF?).

Do he gave me the number of "Pack and Send" who CAN send them. I call Pack and Send - number doesn't work. Cursing DHL I go on the net to get the number and discover it's right, and it's our landline that has a fault.

So I spend ages unplugging things (as required by Telstra) to check it's the line not the phone (and deal with a very tense SD* who's scared I'll disable the Internet as part of this test and then not get it started again) and then talking to Telstra to report the fault.

Call Pack and Send from mobile. Yes, they can send it but I have to take to depot (about 20 minutes away). So I bundle stroppy Mini into car and set off. Unbundle sleeping Mini from car and into depot. All going well until guy looks at address and notices that address they gave me is "Amazon, X Park, X town, county" and says "We may not be able to take it without a street address." I manage to convince them it's a business park and that UK post codes are very specific and they take it. PHEW!

Friday morning, knock at the door. DHL has sent someone from Toll to collect parcel!

* SD's company arranged office space for him in their Australian sister company. The very clever (note to Americans - this is irony) people in the Australian and IT departments have so far been unable to configure his company lap top to access the Internet from the Australian office. The best solution that they've come up with in 7 weeks is "buy a dongle". So he's working from home most of the time.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 16th Feb, '11, 18:48

Sorry Scrummy, I can't help but [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

How do these things happen to you?
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

rallphwaldo

Post by rallphwaldo » 23rd Feb, '11, 00:08

When I definite to use DHL, it was the initial ever moment that I had needful to use any such serving, and definite to ring them early because I heard they had an excellent honour of delivering items domestically, usually rattling rapidly and at a combative cost.
After dialing the telephone symbol I was greeted with a recorded content efficacious me pressure enumerate 1 for this, name 2 for that. I was totally book with this, as it is to be potential from an outside visitor that carries out so much activity. I was also real laughing that after imperative the germane secure for a extract I was inactivity no somebody than 3 seconds before tongued to an manipulator.
Those two points were the only suitable ones I toughened when treatment with DHL. I explained to the cause that I desirable a duo of car room collected and then delivered to my address (they were bought really cheaply on ebay for a impel car I am employed on, and I didnt garnished the 300 mile road as the seller such anaesthetic pick-up only). Still after 12 transactions explaining the weight, dimensions of the room and the fact that there are TWO of them, I was put on intermission for added microscopic to be transferred to the husbandly feat section, alter tho' the assembling and conveying addresses were the really first
After {giving the equal addresses again, this operator claimed there were several areas on her machine after operative a billet encrypt activity ( few of which were at opposition ends of the U.K. ) and then claimed I hadnt presumption the replete come, when the early cause I spoke to had no difficulty judgement the speak. Eventually withal this was resolute and I eventually unreal for my items to be delivered. Classified I thoght!

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 23rd Feb, '11, 02:56

That post was about to get the spammer edit but I really didn't know how I could improve it.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 23rd Feb, '11, 04:37

rallphwaldo wrote:I was put on intermission for added microscopic to be transferred to the husbandly feat section
If I only had a pound for every time that's happened to me.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 23rd Feb, '11, 09:10

baloo wrote:That post was about to get the spammer edit but I really didn't know how I could improve it.
Yeah, I wouldn't know where to start :lol: and if he's selling somehing, no way to figure out what it is in that mess anyway :o

Addadude
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Totally underwhelmed

Post by Addadude » 23rd Feb, '11, 13:43

I must say that been "tongued to a manipulator" sounds like quite an interesting experience. And what wife wouldn't want a "husbandly feat section"?
Last edited by Addadude on 23rd Feb, '11, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 24th Feb, '11, 09:09

[smilie=rotflmao.gif]