Visa PayWave

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Visa PayWave

Post by Fat Bob » 23rd Sep, '12, 12:30

I don't know if you've seen the advert, but it looks great. You take your items to the cashier, and five seconds later, after a flash of your Visa PayWave card, you're outta there.

Sounds great, doesn't it? Saving time, less hassle etc.

In reality? It's no better than the current system. It relies on the (very slow) connection to visa and the only thing it does is mean the card doesn't leave your hand.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Visa PayWave

Post by Kooky » 23rd Sep, '12, 15:50

Unless somebody nicks it, in which case it doesn't leave their hand until they've spent up to your limit.

(We have it, limit is $100 so handy for the supermarket.)

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 23rd Sep, '12, 17:36

Don't think it's reached Malaysian shores and, if it had, the machine would be rosak anyway ;)

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 23rd Sep, '12, 18:26

Kooky wrote:Unless somebody nicks it, in which case it doesn't leave their hand until they've spent up to your limit.

(We have it, limit is $100 so handy for the supermarket.)
But at the supermarket it's not a problem with the card leaving your hand, you can see it all the time. It takes no longer to wave it past the machine than it to stick it in the chip reader.

My main point is that it's not made things quicker. They should be working on a way to improve the speed in which a transaction is authorised. Not on a gimmick that, when shown in an advert, has no resemblance to real life.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 23rd Sep, '12, 18:32

IME it is quicker, but we're talking half of not very long at all so I agree, not a lot gained.

Here with chip and pin you have to stick your card in the machine, select your account, key in your pin, press enter and wait for approval. Now you just tap - or really you hold the card in front of the machine - and wait for approval.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 23rd Sep, '12, 19:37

Ah! No chip and PIN here. So the time consuming part is the authorisation. Which tends to be painfully slow (or at least it does in Cold Storage).

Poppy Appeal

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 23rd Sep, '12, 22:21

I pay cash in Cold Storage. It's incredibly quick. Just a thought.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 23rd Sep, '12, 22:38

And miss out on rebates and airmiles? Never!

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 24th Sep, '12, 00:07

Whinge whinge whinge whinge. For a second I thought I'd ended up on britishexpats.com
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 24th Sep, '12, 01:44

Well I can't believe how many places here in Sing make you sign for your purchase when your card has a pin. Back in Oz I don't sign at all, most places are pin only, or wave and pay. There is only one place that has done paypass since we arrived, and that was Golden Village, but then again not been to supermarkets. Don't they use chips and pins here? Everywhere else has made us sign, and not one of them has checked that the signature matches. ;)
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 24th Sep, '12, 06:35

Tap and Go at the petrol station in the mornings, love it!
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 24th Sep, '12, 07:05

PP I agree it's odd that Singapore is behind Oz (and UK) on this, usually the opposite way round!

Dino, when we moved here I decided to operate with cash only for living expenses (as I did as a singleton in the UK) and try to limit the amount I took out of the ATM each week, but then we got an offset mortgage :) Now I use CC for almost everything, and have a card linked to an airline too.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 24th Sep, '12, 08:03

Chip-and-PIN has never happened in Singapore, it's just chip.

And now Cold Storage and a few more places are involved with the "less then $100, no need to sign", though I've only noticed that in the last couple of weeks.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 24th Sep, '12, 08:09

call me old-fashioned, but i'd never leave without signing...

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 24th Sep, '12, 08:11

Morrolan wrote:call me old-fashioned, but i'd never leave without signing...
Old fashioned

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 24th Sep, '12, 08:24

I was the same, until I converted big time as the servo and self serve Kiosk at the Supermarket, as it's under a certain amount and I have a really good sense of where I've shopped for the items I'd use it on. It's less complicated for me as I don't share a credit card account - it might be different for people sharing accounts.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 24th Sep, '12, 13:33

Morrolan wrote:call me old-fashioned, but i'd never leave without signing...
1: The cashier rarely checks the signature (and if it's below $100 in some stores, no longer needs to check the signature)
2: You are responsible for ALL spending on the card, unless you have reported it stolen

So why are you insistent on signing?

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 24th Sep, '12, 13:57

ahhhhhh the timeliness of life! after this posting I discovered my CC details have be nicked and several hundred if not k's of now disputed spending with the bank! Had to give my approval for the bank to release my signature to other merchants, and am now without a blessed CC for up to a week. Oh and cluster fuck of timings around that, but long story short, has meant I'm left with around $500 in operating cash account until my monthly pay goes in 3+wks away, and no CC for better part of a week la la la. Next choice is to completely screw over the savings accounts and lose signficant interest by transferring cash back across. There's more related annoyances, and understood potential solutions for 'next time', but this is the short version after all....

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 24th Sep, '12, 14:54

That's a blessed thing about Singapore, well, at least some of the banks. I had my card details misused in the States. They phoned me, told me a new card would be delivered later that day. One of the reasons I'm continuing my credit card relationship with that bank.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 24th Sep, '12, 16:12

Tas wrote:ahhhhhh the timeliness of life! after this posting I discovered my CC details have be nicked and several hundred if not k's of now disputed spending with the bank! Had to give my approval for the bank to release my signature to other merchants, and am now without a blessed CC for up to a week. Oh and cluster **** of timings around that, but long story short, has meant I'm left with around $500 in operating cash account until my monthly pay goes in 3+wks away, and no CC for better part of a week la la la. Next choice is to completely screw over the savings accounts and lose signficant interest by transferring cash back across. There's more related annoyances, and understood potential solutions for 'next time', but this is the short version after all....
this... ^

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 24th Sep, '12, 16:37

What difference does it make whether you sign or not though? Once somebody has your number, away they can go.

Some of you may remember us once having a Hyatt Brunch and me ending up in possession of a receipt listing about a dozen numbers in full - not even any masking :o

If you thought about it too much, you'd never use a credit card. Unfortunately these days you wouldn't get far.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 24th Sep, '12, 16:51

Majority were groupon vouchers, a couple Book things that got refunded, who knows why, and a fucking Dominos pizza charge of $55, all in USD, so international transaction fees as well. They look online to me so no signature requ'd. So much for the 3-4 digit security #.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 24th Sep, '12, 17:17

It's quite possible that somebody just got lucky when trying out numbers. As I think I've said before on here, I've picked up small transactions in an online fundraising database and had that explanation from the banks.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 24th Sep, '12, 17:28

One margarita down and a gin cocktail experiment on the go, speaking of pizza, need comfort food, thinking one of the few 50s in my purse might be heading to Pizzahut and change...

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 24th Sep, '12, 17:34

I like the 2fa they have in singapore. When I use my credit card online, I get sent an SMS with an authorization number. I type that into the web page that is patiently waiting for the number and then the transaction goes through. Simple and effective.

A few months ago I started getting SMS messages with these authorisation codes. Went for about an hour before they gave up. I called the bank the next morning and they confirmed someone had been trying to use the card but failed. I still changed the card but at least there was no hassle of getting refunds etc.