Taxis!!!!

Need to rant and rave ? Here's your chance.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Re: Taxis!!!!

Post by slinky » 30th Oct, '08, 14:00

canuck wrote:don't forget the dragging your feet(flip flops) while you walk? [smilie=rollingpin.gif]
Little Boy Slink was doing that awhile back --- Mr. S sorted him out pretty quickly :lol:

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 18th Nov, '08, 15:37

latest in taxi rants... Okay so jump in taxi at Swissotel, and ask to be taken to Long Beach restaurant at Dempsey hill,, taxi driver repeats sssxxllyill? we look at each other and say yes, Dempsey hill, Longbeach restaurant. the guy then proceeds to take us past clarke quay towards AYE. to which I am like wtf?

Wonder aloud where we are going he then says, after we get to $6 on meter +++ (CBD,Peak yada yada) 'where you want to go again?'

Dempsey we say, Longbeach seafood restaurant.. 'oh ahhh, ok' turns back to go through town +1 ERP now.. and so we confront him, he claims it is our fault for not listening to him, he said 'god knows what' tsingtao or something, so it is our fault the taxi costs so much... wtf??? I think not. I tell him it is his fault for not listening and getting it wrong the first time.

He then tries to tell us it is our fault because he repeated 'tsingtao'(sic) and we said yes.. So I said, tell me, is there a longbeach seafood restaurant in 'tsingtao'? (SIC) He says ahh, no but there is another seafood restaurant there.. Again, I say why would I want to go to another seafood restaurant when I asked for a particular one? Did he think that had we been tourists we would want to go to some unknown seafood restaurant in 'tsingtao'? he faffs, then continues to try to blame us.. We finally get to Dempsey, he (repeatedly) telling us he is not that kind of taxi driver, although they are out there. I said that is fine, we will pay the fare but I will be contacting the LTA.. He then waived the fare, so no receipt.. cheeky freaking bastage [smilie=rollingpin.gif]

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 18th Nov, '08, 15:53

Not only wouldnt the freakin Comfort cabs with GREEN lights on today stop for me - I was not in town and not in a bus lane - but the taxi driver said something unintelligble to me too and I said no, I want to go to XXXXX. He says "ah XXXX" and I said yes, on XXXX Road. He then takes off towards Orchard Road - I didnt immeidately notice as was gobbing on phone. Suddenly realised and said "Oy, we are going to XXX Road" to which he said no, you said River Valley Road - I said nothing like that. So I told him to get me to where I wanted to go, got there, he told me total fare was $12.20 but I could pay $12, I gave him $10 and walked.

Actually that didnt piss me off too much it was the fact that THREE EMPTY Comfort cabs went past me with GREEN lights on and refused to stop. One saw me I am sure but kept going. I am really over Comfort cabs not stopping for people. You ring them and complain and all they say is can we order you one and Oh BTW yes you have to pay the booking fee....
Last edited by Aliya on 18th Nov, '08, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 18th Nov, '08, 15:55

To be fair to the guy, it sounds like you weren't sure he understood you right from the start. I mean, he repeated the destination and it sounded to you like "sssxxllyill"? When that happens, it's good to name some other reference points that are also nearby. Using business names never works, plus there are lots of Long Beach restaurants around.

But in the end he waived the whole taxi fare. And you're complaining? Sounds like you got off free for something that was at least partially your fault, at least based on your description above.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 18th Nov, '08, 15:59

If you're not sure they understand the destination, ask them which way they will go, or tell them which way you want to go, then you can be sure they understand.

I think the only one we really had a problem with was "Emerald Hill", something that became obvious only as we were nearing the "M Hotel" - coming from Geylang. :lol:

Ah, taxis - I vaguely remember those...

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 18th Nov, '08, 16:02

T2K: seriously? I think you must be related to this guy. :roll: And if I were a tourist and didn't know reference points? It is ok to rip them off..

A: know what you mean, we have a regular lady in the am, and the stories she tells.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 18th Nov, '08, 16:17

A, when the green ones passed you by, was it during a peak time? If so, I'd bet they are banking on getting a call booking so they can get the call fee so they have no interest in picking up fares off the street.

Edit: Actually, I'll never understand taxi drivers and a lot of landlords here --- they are both willing to be empty for as long as it takes rather than take the fare (or rent) right in front of their face :roll:
Last edited by slinky on 18th Nov, '08, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 18th Nov, '08, 16:17

So he said something that wasn't "Dempsey Hill" and you said yes? you're own stupid fault. Rant all you like...but do it whilst looking in the mirror!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 18th Nov, '08, 16:19

Slinky it was 2.45pm so not peak time. Am SOOOOOOOO over Comfort cabs and their no stop policy. Next time I am goign to take down their rego numbers and ring up Comfort with them.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Post by cromasaig » 18th Nov, '08, 16:46

Kooky wrote:I
I think the only one we really had a problem with was "Emerald Hill", something that became obvious only as we were nearing the "M Hotel" - coming from Geylang. :lol:
[smilie=rotflmao.gif] [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Yep, that's exactly where I ended up when I tried to go to Emerald Hill. At least now I know it wasn't my pronunciation.

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 18th Nov, '08, 21:38

Sorry Canuck, I think I sort of agree with T2K here. I always make sure that they understand what I say in the beginning and if they repeat it wrong then I ask again. I would do that as a tourist too, wouldn't you?
Did he really waive the whole fare? :o
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 18th Nov, '08, 23:32

same thing happens when heading for The Esplanade after instructing to go to Aspen Heights, or vice-versa

[smilie=23_3.gif]
Kooky wrote:I think the only one we really had a problem with was "Emerald Hill", something that became obvious only as we were nearing the "M Hotel" - coming from Geylang
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 19th Nov, '08, 05:52

I lived on Emerald Hill, and very few of the taxi drivers know it. You can either ask for the shopping centre with Robinsons in it (can't remember it now) or if you're coming from the north aim for the CTE and turn off at Cairnhill.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 19th Nov, '08, 06:24

We soon learned that, Burb - Centrepoint.

Y'know - think how many accents are on this thread alone. It can't be easy for them.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 19th Nov, '08, 08:12

I kind of read it the same way as T2K that the address was not clear before you all took off in the car, sorry Canuck.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 19th Nov, '08, 08:18

we did say (slowly) Dempsey Hill, Longbeach seafood, twice before he took off, . and Holland road was mentioned. :roll:

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 19th Nov, '08, 08:30

Canuck: you lot speak slowly anyhow. So if you're speaking even more slowly then god help him!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 19th Nov, '08, 09:03

oye, don't make me stalk you at the hawker centre [7748.gif]

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 19th Nov, '08, 09:55

That would be difficult to do. Don't do hawker centres.

Poppy Appeal

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 19th Nov, '08, 09:57

canuck wrote:we did say (slowly) Dempsey Hill, Longbeach seafood, twice before he took off, . and Holland road was mentioned. :roll:
Well, you did get the whole ride free right? So, I think that more than makes up for it on the driver's part.

The thing that matters is not what YOU say to the driver, but what HE says back to you to confirm he knows the destination. I make sure of that in any taxi anywhere in the world. If what he says back to you doesn't seem right or isn't clear, it must be addressed right at the start of the trip, preferably before the wheels start turning.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 19th Nov, '08, 10:00

Fat Bob wrote:That would be difficult to do. Don't do hawker centres.
did you stop eating across the street? you mean it is safe to go outdoors? :D

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 20th Nov, '08, 07:12

Oh, you mean food court. You never know for sure it's safe to go into the food court.......

Poppy Appeal

Lady Uppercrust
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Perfect, yet quirky

Post by Lady Uppercrust » 20th Nov, '08, 13:46

T2k is right.
And taxi's are still as cheap as chips, what d'ya want for nothing ??? :?

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 20th Nov, '08, 15:05

Like I am going to listen to gun toting mericans and bleeding ear people..

However with the news of $2 COE's I may just buy a car [smilie=mango.gif]

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2B ... 04503.html

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 20th Nov, '08, 15:50

canuck wrote:However with the news of $2 COE's I may just buy a car [smilie=mango.gif]
That will give you all kinds of new things to rant about then :lol: Seriously, some of the drivers on the roads here turn me into a raving lunatic
[smilie=rollingpin.gif]