japan eartquake of 8.9/tsunami

Want to debate a topic seriously ? Well this is the place The Singaporum gets as serious as it can get.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Re: japan eartquake of 8.9/tsunami

Post by Mr Oz » 16th Mar, '11, 13:27

Bender wrote:
Mr Oz wrote:Guys there's a really big nuclear power plant problem!
I expect Godzilla will be on the scene shortly.
So where is that angry green giant when you need him...
A conspiracy theory is just the truth not yet come to light

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 16th Mar, '11, 13:40

What is going to happen
What is going to happen

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 16th Mar, '11, 13:46

Chernobyl after the disaster is a wildlife sanctuary, due to the exclusion of humans from the area for the last 25 yerars.

I think I also saw something on TV one time where people used it for speeding like loons around the place.
Last edited by Fat Bob on 16th Mar, '11, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 16th Mar, '11, 14:11

Mr Oz wrote:
7000.jpg
Looks like Japan will escape completely unscathed, according to that graphic. Or perhaps Japanese people don't matter, but fruit growers in California do.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 16th Mar, '11, 14:13

I thought it was ironic that Japan will be asking the Americans for help, considering it was the Americans who were directly responsible for Japan's last two nuclear disasters.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 16th Mar, '11, 15:40

Burbage wrote:
Mr Oz wrote:
7000.jpg
Looks like Japan will escape completely unscathed, according to that graphic. Or perhaps Japanese people don't matter, but fruit growers in California do.
only if the meltdown comes with an extrmely large, catastrophic explosion, which is not certain: the explosion associated with a meltdown concerns the hydrogen gas explosion that occurs during the exposure of the rods to superheated steam just before or during the meltdown. as we know, this has already taken place. this means that the pressure is gone and since the building and possibly the container are damaged, further build up is unlikely to occur.

the effect of a meltdown would therefore be much more localised and involve more direct radiation and less particle dispersion.

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 16th Mar, '11, 18:07

Burbage wrote:I thought it was ironic that Japan will be asking the Americans for help, considering it was the Americans who were directly responsible for Japan's last two nuclear disasters.
Well if the smoke rises high enough to get on the jet stream they'll get it back in spades. BTW Japan will be toast anyway (well north of tokyo). It will be the jet stream which will effect North America more perhaps then other asian nations. It was the jet stream that dropped Chernobyl dust all over northern Europe and why it was detected as the rushkies were keeping the whole thing secret.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 16th Mar, '11, 18:19

So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 16th Mar, '11, 18:24

No it wasn't. There was no indication of impending doom, no fanatical "it's going to blow!" statements, and really, just will calm everyone down.

How boring indeed!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 16th Mar, '11, 18:34

Sorry, I forgot this was a bit of fun for some people.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 16th Mar, '11, 18:55

I'll go back to argueing with burb over his love/hate relationship with Australia and its government then....

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 16th Mar, '11, 19:04

Burbage wrote:We had an earthquake yesterday! 4.0 on the Richter Scale.

I love the way all the environmental groups are hopping about shouting "I told you so". They live for moment like this.
Yes, I'm sure they'd love for many thousands of people to die a long, slow, painful death just to be able to say 'I told you so".

My Japanese colleagues haven't tweeted for ten hours. I hope that means they've got the hell out of there.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 16th Mar, '11, 20:09

Where did you find that image?
Mr Oz wrote:
7000.jpg
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 16th Mar, '11, 22:27

Mr Oz wrote:
Burbage wrote:I thought it was ironic that Japan will be asking the Americans for help, considering it was the Americans who were directly responsible for Japan's last two nuclear disasters.
Well if the smoke rises high enough to get on the jet stream they'll get it back in spades. BTW Japan will be toast anyway (well north of tokyo). It will be the jet stream which will effect North America...
no, it probably won't.

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 17th Mar, '11, 05:58

Morrolan wrote:no, it probably won't.
oh yes it's a possibility
A POOL containing spent fuel rods at Fukushima's No. 4 reactor "is the major concern" in Japan's nuclear crisis, presenting the risk of radioactivity being released directly into the air, a French safety agency says.
http://www.news.com.au/world/japan-eart ... 6022945686

Unofficial reports are that the pool is dry and the storage facility has begun melting down. No "official" word yet that that has happened. It's definitely looking worse than Chernobyl. Evacuation zone now 50 kms UK government urging all british to leave tokyo!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 17th Mar, '11, 06:18

The UK government always issues advice which seems contrary to the adivcee given by its advisors. For instance, the FCO website says "The most recent advice from the UK’s Chief Scientific Adviser remains that for those outside the exclusion zone set up by the Japanese authorities there is no real human health issue that people should be concerned about."

It then suggest people to leave Tokyo.

Why? This is because the UK government has a responsibility to remove people from places like this should things go to the shitter. See what happened in Libya recently? UK armed forces making trips into Libya to secure and evacuate UK (and I think we have a responsibility to EU and maybe even the Commonwealth) citizens. Aim is to reduce the numbers that would need removing should something happen.

You can continue running around like a headliess chicken and reporting every news article saying there's another explosion, making it seem like there's 50,000 explosions, or you can calm down, take the advice of those who know better, and not panic.

Whipping up hysteria is annoying when you're trying to do it around conspiracy theories, when it's around something serious it's only causing concern for those who don't know better. Mass hysteria is never a good thing.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 17th Mar, '11, 07:16

snap Bob's last paragraph, whole heartedly agree.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Mr Oz
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Mr Oz » 17th Mar, '11, 09:43

Fat Bob wrote:Whipping up hysteria is annoying when you're trying to do it around conspiracy theories, when it's around something serious it's only causing concern for those who don't know better. Mass hysteria is never a good thing.
There's no conspiracy theory here. It's a fact, The nuclear reactor in japan is on the verge of meltdown. If sticking your head in the sand works for you well good luck with that, just close your eyes and click your heals and hope the whole thing just goes away.

Let's hope they get a fix for it soon.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 17th Mar, '11, 10:09

Mr Oz wrote:There's no conspiracy theory here. It's a fact,
But you say that about everyone one of your conspiracies.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 17th Mar, '11, 11:38

Mr Oz wrote:
Fat Bob wrote:Whipping up hysteria is annoying when you're trying to do it around conspiracy theories, when it's around something serious it's only causing concern for those who don't know better. Mass hysteria is never a good thing.
There's no conspiracy theory here. It's a fact, The nuclear reactor in japan is on the verge of meltdown. If sticking your head in the sand works for you well good luck with that, just close your eyes and click your heals and hope the whole thing just goes away.

mate, as i wrote earlier: a chernobyl is only likely in the case of a meltdown induced hydrogen explosion of massive size. since the hydro blasts have already occured, there's no place left where such pressure can build up. without an explosive event, a meltdown will most likely result in signficant localised radiation with very limited radioactive debris in the direct perimeter only.

also these reactors are nowhere near the type that was used in Chernobyl (no graphite core for one) so the meltdown, if it occurs, will not be as severe.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 17th Mar, '11, 11:50

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 17th Mar, '11, 12:27

Got this from BBC:

It seems a woman in Singapore has put her government to shame with the size of her donation towards Japanese quake relief efforts. Elaine Low presented a cheque for 1m Singaporean dollars ($780,000) - or double what the government gave - to Japan's ambassador, Yoichi Suzuki, on Wednesday, an official with the embassy told AFP. Her family runs an Indonesia-based coal mining business that imports equipment from Japan and also supplies coal to Japanese power plants. She said she wanted to do her bit to help out the Japanese affected by the disaster.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 17th Mar, '11, 13:05

thanks M.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 17th Mar, '11, 13:06

Good charity work, good business investment.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 17th Mar, '11, 15:27

Mr Oz wrote:

I know there's not a conspiracy theory here, I was pointing out that there are times when your histerical rants are excusable, and times when they are not. This is probably one of those times when you need to read the cover of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Such as "the reactor in japan is on the verge of meltdown". That's being hysterical. If I was close, then I'd slap you, and then move aside so the next person could also slap you.

Do not become like Lance Corporal Jack Jones.

Yes, there are a lot of popular culture references in there, feel free to sit back, relax, and relive them.

Poppy Appeal