48 Shootings - Labor Day Weekend in NYC

Want to debate a topic seriously ? Well this is the place The Singaporum gets as serious as it can get.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

T2K
Going Postal

48 Shootings - Labor Day Weekend in NYC

Post by T2K » 7th Sep, '11, 09:08

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/06/48 ... m-tragedy/

The bad news: Ridiculous display of the culture of violence and lawlessness that exists in some "communities" in the US.
The good news: 48 shot but only 3 dead. These thugs can't shoot worth a damn.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Re: 48 Shootings - Labor Day Weekend in NYC

Post by cromasaig » 7th Sep, '11, 16:05

T2K wrote:These thugs can't shoot worth a damn.
Prob'ly shouldn't be allowed guns, then.

[deadhorse]

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 7th Sep, '11, 17:34

Agreed. We should probably not allow murder either, just to make sure. That would fix this right away.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 8th Sep, '11, 09:30

These conversations always lead to discussions about laws. And the summary always ends up being that the law is already there. Although I have serious doubts if laws allowing carriage and purchase are very good. So seems to come down to enforcement. Why aren't they enforced?
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 8th Sep, '11, 12:43

Well Tas, NYC has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the US. But, rather than addressing that, perhaps an analogy using illegal narcotics...

Are they illegal in the US? Yes. Are the laws enforced in the US? Yes, heavily, for many decades and we even have a specific branch of federal law enforcement (the DEA, Drug Enforcement Agency) and our jails are filled with those convicted. Can you still buy drugs all over the US? Yes. Same thing with criminals and guns (and guns don't even need to be smuggled across our borders like many narcotics do). Better deal with the demand rather than the supply.
Last edited by T2K on 8th Sep, '11, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 8th Sep, '11, 13:17

Yeah fair point, interesting to refocus on what drives the demand or the action, rather than the enforcement over a tool. I think the discussion around laws creates a lot of strawman debates that lose focus of the reason for the violence. (whether it be gun or knife what ever the weapon of choice is, the point of difference with guns being the greater killing capacity en masse in my mind, but not the violence or intent)

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 8th Sep, '11, 14:38

Looking back at the riots recently in the UK, there was a commentator who said that hey, haven't we just thrown shit loads of money at all the social reasons, lack of schooling, lack of health etc etc? And they are still rioting? Surely that means that throwing money at the situation doesn't work and we should now look at enforcement of such unlawful in a stronger way.

I'd rather pay more prison guards salaries, have less people on the street and less riots than keep on throwing money at a problem that no one knows how to fix.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 8th Sep, '11, 14:59

FB - When I say "deal with the demand " you can sure as hell be assured that I'm not talking about more "programs" and dole and such. No, nothing like that.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 8th Sep, '11, 15:01

I feel a discussion about parenting licenses and sterilisation coming on....

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 8th Sep, '11, 15:26

T2K, no worries, I never thought you did. Was just thinking about what people have said before about dealing with the underlying issues of why people want to go shoot people up. It's quite easy, they do it:

1: because they can
2: because it's easy to get the guns to do it
3: it's difficult to find the people who have done it
4: when they do get caught, it's difficult to get a sentence that will deter them from doing it again

Removing the supply will make numbers 1 and 2 more difficult. Enforcing it and having sentences that will deter them from doing it again will make it possible.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 8th Sep, '11, 15:30

"Removing the supply"...reference illegal narcotics discussion above. Note that, in the case of cocaine, heroin, some marijuana and probably others as well (not my area of knowledge), they have to be smuggled in across international borders. And, obviously, they are consumed and more has to be brought in. Decent guns can work for a century. The supply already in the US is massive. Even with a repeal of the 2nd amendment and Gestapo-like draconian enforcement and confiscations...there is no removing the supply.

Now, about those forced sterilizations...
-Theodore Roosevelt

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 8th Sep, '11, 17:19

...or GPS/wifi/GSM tracvking of every person for every minute of every day. Then at least you'll know WHO was there if not who pulled the trigger.

Poppy Appeal

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 8th Sep, '11, 17:19

....or set up the PreCrime Unit as soon as possible.

Poppy Appeal

Snaffled
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Hooray

Post by Snaffled » 8th Sep, '11, 17:26

That pre-crime thing seemed to work if I remember. Bloody Tom Cruise getting in the way of a perfectly functional system.
If there was a God, then why is my arse the perfect height for kicking?

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 8th Sep, '11, 18:08

Fat Bob wrote:...or GPS/wifi/GSM tracvking of every person for every minute of every day. Then at least you'll know WHO was there if not who pulled the trigger.
can i bring my mandatory micro-chipping and mandatory DNA collection at birth solution up again? or instead of micro-chipping we'll just iris scan everyone at birth.