In Rememberance

Want to debate a topic seriously ? Well this is the place The Singaporum gets as serious as it can get.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

In Rememberance

Post by Fat Bob » 12th Oct, '12, 09:27

Just been along to the morning service at SCC for those killed in the Bali bombings. It's 10 years ago today that it happened, and I do think about it quite regularly.

My story: well, I look back now, and feel oh so lucky. I was touring with the Bedok Kings rugby team, there were ~20 of us there and a few of us had gone to Bali early to dive, relax and have fun. The Friday night (the 11th) we'd been around Kuta - Sari Club, Paddy's, and then onto....well, I can't quite remember. I hard day's rugby on the Saturday, and with chicks on tour, we headed to KudeTa for an easy session before the finals day on the Sunday.

Dinner had finished, we were thinking about finishing our drinks and either heading into Kuta or back to the hotel. I noticed a security guard walking around the bushes, shining a light into them. Then someone we were due to meet arrived at the restaurant: he'd just come from Kuta, and was finding out where we were.

We made it back to the hotel, and bumped into a couple of Singapore-based refs. They had crawled out of the Sari Club and were in a state of shock.

The next morning, things sounded bad indeed. Several clubs had gone out for a drink, and it was already known that people from the competition were missing. The rest of that day is a little hazy to say the least.

A few weeks later, the final count came in: over 20 of the rugby boys from 4 different clubs had been killed, a similar number injured. In total, 202 dead and again, similar number injured. The casulties came from all over the world - Australia, UK, NZ, Indonesia - it just seemed pot luck. From Singapore, 2 of the three clubs were untouched, whilst SCC had 8 dead and 4 seriously injured.

My thoughts go out to those who lost their loved ones - I hope in the years you have found solace. For those injuries - hopefully the support has been good enough - and if not, please ask what we can do.

Over 100 people were there this morning, remembering those who were lost. We do remember you. We celebrate your life.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Re: In Rememberance

Post by slinky » 12th Oct, '12, 09:46

What a story, FB. In a way, I'm amazed that it has been 10 years, it doesn't seem like it could be that long ago in some ways. But I suspect those have been long years to the families and friends of those who were lost that day. I like the idea of remembering and celebrating their lives and I hope it is of some comfort to those who loved them.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 12th Oct, '12, 10:18

I had hoped one of you directly affected by this would post something, so thank you Bob for sharing.

In some way, big or small, I think it affected all of us living in the region at the time. We had only been in Singapore a few months but already knew people who had been in Kuta, people who had lost partners and friends, etc. I can vividly remember the changes, security gates at Holland V, patrols on Boat Quay, the atmosphere, etc. Not forgetting the 2005 incident either.

Obviously it's a big deal here in Oz and I've had one eye on the various services around the country and in Bali all morning. Emotional stuff, and sometimes good to cut the crap, sit back and reflect, I think.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 12th Oct, '12, 10:36

I also can't believe it's been 10 years. FB, thank you for posting your story.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 12th Oct, '12, 10:59

I knew Delaney was in Bali, and was around Paddy's/Sari Club the night of the bombing. When I heard about the bombing, I frantically tried to contact him but I just could not, until the evening of the next day. Turned out he was indeed around ground zero until half an hour before the bombing. He left early-ish because he had to get up early to go scuba diving the next day. The dive spot was isolated, so he didn't have mobile phone reception until he got back to Sanur, which was why he was completely unreachable.

There was also a smaller bomb planted outside the US consulate in Denpasar, which harmed nobody (thankfully). My house at the time was near the consulate, and my dad was on the phone with my sister when the bomb went off. He heard the explosion and jokingly remarked to my sister that a bomb went off. He could not imagine at the time how his joke turned into a horrible reality on a muuch, much larger scale.

I'm thankful that my family and friends were not directly affected by the bombing. I still grieve for those who lost their lives, and those who lost friends and loved ones.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 12th Oct, '12, 13:30

It's funny old time to be coming back to Singapore in that respect. Had crashed over at Batty's after a quiet session on the G&T's chilling out that Sat night, still remember her rushing into the spare room with the news, and saying oh shit Delaney is diving, Fat Bob is there with rugby (I really don't like using the psuedonyms today), who else is likely there, then the phone work started, recall it was Aber let us know all ok with their team, eventually heard on D. Also remember heading to that service Bob mentions and the couple very sombre beers, with folk drifting off after. None of it's forgotten, there but for the grace of god go I, these were people doing what we were all doing at the time, our ages, barely 1 degree of separation, plus just that sadness that that madness had spread so far.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Dizzy

Post by Monkey Hanger » 12th Oct, '12, 16:01

Lovely post, FB.

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 12th Oct, '12, 20:17

Was in KL at the time and remember your account then FB. For some reason I knew you were in Bali with the Rugby guys and when I heard it I actually thought of you. Crazy time and I liked reading your thoughts here - I couldn't watch the service today longer than a minute without choking up and turning it off... Just thinking of the impact on those families is too heart breaking. It is a good thing the Indo police have preferred a shoot first approach to these murders
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 12th Oct, '12, 21:56

Well said Bob, many gone but not forgotten.
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Duck
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Ecstatic!

Post by Duck » 13th Oct, '12, 01:59

A story worth sharing, thanks FB... Ten years has gone so quickly, but as Daffodil said...those who were lost that evening will not be forgotten...
~ Smile & the world will smile with you :-) ~

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 13th Oct, '12, 07:48

Great post FB

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Oct, '12, 09:50

Hey all, thanks, and yes, your support at the time and since has helped an awful lot. The service yesterday was very good. I went to the first one (and remember Tassie, Aber and a few others there) and haven't really been told about the rest earlier this week.

One thing is for sure, life does go on. I know what happened on the day was tragic and destroying in so many ways, but some positive things have happened since then.

2005 - now that's a different but similar story. Less effect on the rugby scene but still harrowing for those involved.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 13th Oct, '12, 10:04

Nice post FB. One of my good friends, a member of the SCC team, was caught in the bombing and mercifully, although peppered with shrapnel wounds, survived. It was pure luck that he happened to move away from the place where the bomb was planted to go and buy a drink. All the people at the table where he had been sitting seconds before were killed. He was featured in an article in the Straits Times this morning, pictured with others kneeling in front of one of the tributes to the SCC victims. Good to know these innocent victims are being remembered in such a fitting and respectful way each year.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 14th Oct, '12, 10:08

Good to see this posted here. While I was not where near it when it happened, we had friends who were, and was worried for them, and that it wasn't for a while later that we learned they were ok.

I remember the feeling of not wanting to go there again, of how it was the start of more of the same, and how it gave some measure of concern everywhere I went where foreigners congregate overseas, and always had me looking for suspicious things, exits, and the like, not that any of it would help. I still have this in some places, even in Thailand.

Was in Bali a couple of times since and just, instinctively or otherwise, steered clear of Kuta. Not the answer I know, but that's the effect it has had on me since.

Good post FB.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 15th Oct, '12, 22:28

Thanks for posting your memories / thoughts of that, FB.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt