Inconsistent

Want to debate a topic seriously ? Well this is the place The Singaporum gets as serious as it can get.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Inconsistent

Post by Tas » 16th Jun, '13, 13:51

You can't in seriousness defend all those constitution about freedom, right to bear arms, deny legislation regarding gun ownership background checks, allow marketing and sale of guns designed for children, give gun lobbyists their high platform, then turn around and deny a kid wearing then arrest him for wearing an NRA support Tshirt. That's the social structure the kids are being bought up in, can't then turn around and condemn the inevitible. Twisted.

http://au.businessinsider.com/8th-grade ... irt-2013-6
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Inconsistent

Post by Fat Bob » 16th Jun, '13, 16:33

The more I look at America the more totally fucked up it seems to be. I get some good stories from This Is True newsletter.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 16th Jun, '13, 16:51

It's a school for crying out loud! Shouldn't they be burning books?
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 17th Jun, '13, 02:26

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:It's a school for crying out loud! Shouldn't they be burning books?
Very good point.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 17th Jun, '13, 05:38

Wasn't the last one little red riding hood?
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 17th Jun, '13, 11:50

Tas - Yes, it's fucked up. To a certain type of people in the US, "guns" are synonomous with murder. They cannot separate the human acts/decisions with one tool commonly used.

So, a kid wearing a Smith & Wesson shirt to school is viewed as inciting people to violence. A Porsche shirt is not, not yet anyway, seen as an incitement to dangerous and illegal driving. That may come, in time.

FB - You're not wrong. It will have to get worse before the steps needed to fix the USA can happen. It should be an interesting ride. At the same time, please note that the vast majority of the US is perfectly normal, low-crime, people going to work and doing normal things. The extremes are very well-reported, though, and can give a false overall impression.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 17th Jun, '13, 18:59

To counter your first paragraph, there are certain types in the US who think "lack of guns" is a crime against humanity. Extreme to extreme.

However, yes, I agree that you tend only to see the polarised view and not the standard fare. I felt very happy and safe during my trip in February. And there were bears in them mountains!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 17th Jun, '13, 22:17

Lack of guns is a "crime against humanity"...? Hmmm, not sure about that one, seems a bit of stretch. I'm familiar with lots of nutjob viewpoints from all sides in the US and I've never heard that one. Overly harsh restrictions on any of the civil liberties guaranteed in the Constitution is a crime against liberty in the US context, that is a common (and correct) viewpoint and about as far as I would go on the matter.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt