I need a plumber!

Useful bits and pieces found in various threads we think might be of some use to you.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

I need a plumber!

Post by slinky » 18th May, '08, 20:14

I've got a screwy toilet and a sink that won't drain --- anyone have a good plumber to recommend?

Bender
I post here professionally

Re: I need a plumber!

Post by Bender » 18th May, '08, 21:59

Slow or blocked drains are usually obstructed with hair, dirt, fat or other crud. Before you spend money on a plumber...
  • Is the u-bend under the sink blocked? Easily unblocked, it should be possible to undo by hand. Make sure to have a bucket underneath to catch the water before unscrewing. And don't pour anything down the sink until the u-bend is back in place.
  • Use a drain cleaner like Drano (be careful, it's caustic).
  • Try a plunger (cheap to buy) on your non-draining sink.
If the above don't fix it, and if more than one drain is slow/stopped you may have a blockage (tree roots in the drainpipe?) further down the line and will need a plumber.

Most things that go wrong with toilets are easy to fix. More often than not it's a problem in the cistern. Google fix toilet cistern.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 19th May, '08, 07:33

Ong, Kian Heng (call him "Heng")

So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

azzam
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 19th May, '08, 11:19

I need a plumber, a picture hanger and an electrician. Oh and a computer guy. Actually I need a man.

edit: I stepped off a plane about three hours ago and have blown up the vacuum cleaner already, twisted the garden hose all to hell and my sarong fell off again trying to fix it. I did however, manage to flick all the right things on the box when all the electricity went off. Drains are blocked and the desktop comp still isn't functioning, two pictures still to hang.

I'm tired of being a 'feminist', can I have the day off?

Going to sleep now.... :roll:
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 19th May, '08, 11:40

azzam wrote:... twisted the garden hose all to hell and my sarong fell off again trying to fix it...
Hope you didn't scare any kiddies.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 19th May, '08, 11:57

Drains and toilets: pour a kettle-full of biling water down, or as much as it can take before it overflows. Wait 30mins for it to cool before you think about using a plunger.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

azzam
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 19th May, '08, 12:01

I think mine's got blocked up from tossing cotton buds down it. Never used them until now and look what I've done!
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 20th May, '08, 15:41

Thanks, Baloo, Heng was out today & my slow drain is now fast and the toilet flushes more than once per day [smilie=mango.gif]

Bender - I had already poured a whole bottle of drain cleaner down the sink before I posted this thread....that's about the extent of my plumbing abilities [smilie=rotflmao.gif] Heng did tell me the inner stuff of my toilet tank is an 'odd size' which only confirms further that I would have gotten it wrong anyway.......$70 well spent, I think [smilie=w00t.gif] However, I do appreciate your apparent confidence in my abilities [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Bender

Post by Bender » 20th May, '08, 17:27

slinky wrote:$70 well spent, I think [smilie=w00t.gif]
I'd forgotten how cheap it is to get things done in Singapore. Plumbers in Australia are among the new rich, contributing to the 'Cashed up bogans' phenomenon.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 20th May, '08, 17:35

Bender wrote:
slinky wrote:$70 well spent, I think [smilie=w00t.gif]
I'd forgotten how cheap it is to get things done in Singapore. Plumbers in Australia are among the new rich, contributing to the 'Cashed up bogans' phenomenon.
I think that's true in the US, too and if we were there I'd most definitely have put Mr. S to work before calling in a plumber [smilie=gnigni.gif]

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Aug, '08, 08:17

Heng got cheap, I managed to get him for $60 for about an hours worth of prodding, squirting and mess. Luckily the maid was in to help clean up. Stank boody awful!

Good job. He remembers baloo and asked about the little one.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 13th Aug, '08, 11:21

Can the BM put this threat in useful posts

It would be good to have a list of baord recommended elctricians and plumbers etc